1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Comb Appearance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by enggass, Oct 24, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Whats more common to see... A perfect, blemish free comb, or a comb with marks/wounds on it? Most of my hens have some sort of mark or blemish on their combs. Not fleas, more like small scabs. Is this common?
    They are behaving fine - eating, laying, pooping - everything normal. But they look like they go to war when i'm not looking. 3 RIRs and 2 BRs. Just want to know what you all see or experience.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Most of mine have blemishes or whatever on them. Especially, the roosters. I think it's from pecking and fighting. I lock them up at night and in the morning, I'm kinda slow at letting them out. The hen house is 8x8, but for 75 chickens it's relatively small to house for 12 or more hours. Judging from some of the answers of other members, some say it could be mites, pox, etc. All of mine are healthy, so I think they are war wounds, because not all of them have it.

3. confused chicken lady

confused chicken lady New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    Hi Everyone, I'm kind of new to raising chickens and I need some help. One of my hens is looking really bad. Her comb is wilted and discolored and lays on her face. She also has poo on her butt. She acts lethargic. Can anyone help me?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by