Comb Color - Buff Orpingtons

Darlagips

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 1, 2012
Splendora, TX
At about what age do Buff Orpington hens start to get a really red comb? Mine are 4 months old now and just showing a pinkish tint. They have been wormed. So I was just wondering when I could expect them to turn really red. And when that happens? Does it mean they are about ready to begin laying?

This is my first year with buff orpingtons. I was told they mature a little later than some other breeds, and not to expect them to lay until 20-26 weeks, or even a little later. With my older hens the comb became bright red before laying, so I think while they are getting closer, you have a while yet.

and congrats on getting pullets, I have four and I am beginning to think that 3 of the 4 are roos. sigh. I don't need more roos.

My girls start at 23 weeks. The comb and wattles become a super bright red around 20 weeks. Some of them have bigger combs and waddles, while others keep tight little petite looking ones. I've had both hatch from the same parents.

This is my blue orpington roo. He is less than three months old and is already very large and has lots of comb and wattle.

Then I have a blue pullet -

The question comes about my buff - same age - no tail to speak of but getting a comb and wattle. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom