1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Comb Development in EE's and Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4H kids and mom, Mar 28, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Anyone know where I can find photos of EE and Ameraucana chicks at various ages that shows their combs? I'm trying to sex my flock here because I have someone interested in my extra cockerels for breeding. Mine are now a day past 3 weeks old, and I have noticed that about half of my group has noticeable little 'bumps' of a comb starting, whereas the other half has very little there or nothing....BUT as they are feathering out, its gotten harder to tell the EE's from the Ameraucanas too! So I'm not sure if the combs are a breed thing or a sex linked thing! Help!? I know there are a few members here that breed or raise Ameraucanas or EE's and I'm hoping they can help.

2. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    try feathersite.com

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    when you figure it out, let me know! lol

4. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

4 H Kids and Mom, try going onto the ameraucana website........look under photos. Ameraucana fowl have what is called a pea comb. This is a Red Pyle Ameraucana cockerel in the avatar........note the blue legs on this cockerel typical of this breed. They are also bearded and muffed, which this cockerel is with a white beard and muffs......just can't be seen because the picture is from the rear side of the bird.

www.ameraucana.org

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  5. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    All of my pullets are getting their combs and they are 3 weeks old today. So, I think that it's still too early to tell. My Amerucana's have the same size as all the others, it's relatively noticeable.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It is too early to tell on a peacombed bird. Girls get bumps too. A good indicator is around 5-6 wks when the boys start getting thicker pink/red combs and the sickle feathers in the neck.

Jody

7. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I figured I'd still have to wait a week or three...lol [​IMG] [​IMG] I just want to sex the boys so I can sell off the extras before I bond too much to them, does that make sence? [​IMG] I have someone who will pay me $8 each for every cockerel I can sell her, as she plans to breed them. If I end up with 10 or more, thats a nice sum! [​IMG] I'd like to sex them asap, for both reasons, but alas, I suppose I will have to wait a little longer....<<Sigh>>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by