Comb Genetics

Is the single comb that is to large and doesn't stand straight up hard to correct? My rooster has good conformation except for his comb being to large and flopping over. Will this be passed on to his young or will some of them have smaller straight standing combs?

It will pass on, but if you breed to a hen whose comb is too small, you may be able to correct it in the offspring.

Hi
frow.gif

I know this thread is several months old, but I wondered if I might ask a question. Sonoran Silkies, I am curious why you recommended a hen whose comb is too small for a rooster whose comb is too large? Could you expound on that?

I am wondering because in the little I know of genetics and breeding, the principle that I was taught was if you want to correct a fault in the offspring of one animal, you should find a mate with as close as possible to ideal conformation in that particular area, rather than too far the other way. I.e., if both parents have faults, the offspring could inherit either the fault of the sire or the fault of the dam, whereas the other way they could inherit the ideal conformation of the non (or less) faulted parent. Like, two opposite wrongs can't make a right. Is poultry breeding different in that regard?

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything; I hope I don't come across as challenging. I'm all ears to hear and learn from somebody who knows poultry genetics. I have just barely starting learning about that.

Well, I had someone the other day buy a couple of silkies I did not want to breed. She pointed out that one of the roosters had points on its comb. I had never paid any attention nor did I think that was a flaw. But after reading, I realize a silkie with horns or spikes is not desirable.
I am only in my second generation of breeding sizzles and I have this splash rooster... when I went out to look at everyone's comb, I see that he has lots and lots of spikes...
where does that trait come from and should I breed him at all or sell him?

Back
Top Bottom