Comb height to decide gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by K7 Menagerie, May 13, 2008.

1. K7 Menagerie

K7 Menagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Bend, OR
    I have 6 EE chicks, about a month old. All were supposed to be pullets (90% accuracy guaranteed). None have any redness, but one chick does have a much taller comb than the others. How big a factor is comb height in determining gender? Thanks!

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think comb is a very important indicator. As far as accuracy goes, it seems to win out over color and disposition most times.

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Using the look of the comb (and their feathering) is how I figured out the gender of all my EE chicks. The boys had definitely wider combs with three raised lines that extend from one end of the comb to the other. Two of them even started to turn red at 5 weeks old, right before I gave them to the lady who's taking all my roos and extras. The three I kept, due to them having very narrow, one-line combs still have flat, very minimal combs with no red yet, at 7 weeks. Two of them have a tiny tinge of pink starting in their combs, but the combs are still very narrow. Of course, this gender thing is always subject to change!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by