Comb Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Nov 29, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Does anyone know how many generations it would take to breed to a peacomb breed to get their color, then breed back to a single combed breed to get the single comb to eventually end up with a single comb that will breed true.

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    You need to be more specific -- What breeds? What colour,do you want? & what colour do you want to replace?
    David

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I was thinking on breeding the Buff Columbian color from brahmas into a single combed breed like Orps or Rocks, but in general, how many generations of crossing from an initial cross of a pea comb X single comb and then keep crossing back to a single comb bird, to end up with all single combs.

I figure it would probably just be better to use Buff Sussex though instead of crossing.

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Buff Sussex would certainly be best for the Orpingtons, they are both white skinned/shanked birds and Buff are available in Orpingtons.
    For the Rocks a better choice would be Buff Colubian Wyandotte male over Columbian Rock hens, yellow skin/shanks all round, and no shank feathering. The first cross would all be rose comb ( pea if you used Brahmas) and from then on ,mating these pullets back to the single comb bird you will get about 50% single comb in both sexes.
    David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by