Comb scabs, bleeding, dryness???

CluckCluckMomma

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2016
I have two 18mo roos that we just got a few weeks ago. They came with their coop. One has black spots or scabs on his comb and appears to be a SLW as the seller said. The other I am told is not. The other has whitish tips to his comb like very dry scabby whitish skin. They both might have a little head shaking, I'm not sure what of that is normal if it even could be normal. The one with the black scabs sometimes has beads of blood on his comb too. At first I thought he was being pecked by the other roo, but I've been watching them all day and they are doing well together. They were kept together before we got them. I have chicks coming in March so I want to identify the issue and learn how to treat it as soon as I can. The coop and these roos were a nice surprise from my husband, but I wasn't prepared for them and am trying to make sure they are healthy and happy. Any advice greatly appreciated!!! I don't think I see any signs of mites or lice, but I can't check their vents well holding them with both hands myself. Planning to get some help soon so that I can inspect them well. Every 15 minutes or so the roo with the scabs will lift his wings and neck feathers for a good shake. The other roo shakes his head a little from time to time, but maybe I'm finding an issue where there isn't one as well. I did deworm them and put mite powder in their coop and dust bath spot when we got them. TIA!

For the first one, try putting neosporin on his comb. Make she it is FREE OF PAINKILLERS AND WORDS WITH THE SUFFIX -CAIN!

For the second one, I would take him to the vet to get an examination and an antibiotic ointment.
Good luck!!!
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Looks like fowl/avian pox. I'm afraid it's a virus that can't be treated and will need to work its way through your birds. Here is an article on fowl pox for you to check out ~ http://backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

It sounds like there is nothing I can do for them in this case. My chicks are being vaccinated for mereks, but as far as I know that is it. I will find out if I can have them vaccinated for avian pox as the article suggests. I'm thinking I'll have to wait it out with the roos. I was planning to move the roos to a new coop and to use their coop for the hens because it has nesting boxes built in. I would hate to infect them when they are pullets and ready to move outside. Hmmmm. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will do the hydrocortisone to try to keep them more comfortable and keep researching the avian pox virus. Much appreciated. Has anyone else dealt with avian pox before?

I haven't dealt with avian pox, but I'd say just because you think you can't do anything to help them, keep trying to help! There always a chance that they could get better. Praying for you
1f64f.png

Back
Top Bottom