Comb turning grey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by COgeorge, Oct 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. COgeorge

COgeorge In the Brooder

May 26, 2018
    I have 7 hens. 4 of them are under a year old. Three of the four younger hens were picking on one of the older hens. As a result of posting here on backyard chickens, I put aprons on the chickens missing feathers and peepers on the bullies. One of the chickens with peepers responded well to the peepers and I removed it after roughly 6 days. Ever since removing the peepers from this chicken she has become very lethargic. She moves around very slowly and prefers laying around. Today I noticed her comb is suddenly turning grey. Please help. I don't have any idea why the comb would be turning grey. The obvious is blood flow. Her comb was bright red just 3 days ago when I removed the peeper. To night I found her outside. I put her in the coop. Weather has not been cold. I also just recently saw a mouse around the chicken run. I added that info because I have no idea if there would be any significance.

Thanks for your prompt responses,
    George

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of her?
    Is she able to poop?
    When was the last time she laid an egg?
    Gather her up and feel of her abdomen for any bloat/swelling of fluid. You may want to check her to see if she has an egg stuck (Egg Binding). Feel her crop - what is that like?

3. COgeorge

COgeorge In the Brooder

May 26, 2018
    She isn't waddling or anything like that. She is just very low energy and is not moving about the chicken run very much. I will look to see if she is egg bound tomorrow. I do I check?

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You would need to insert a lubricated gloved finger inside the vent about 1 1/2" to see if you feel an egg.

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

5. COgeorge

COgeorge In the Brooder

May 26, 2018
    I went out to check on her this morning. She was bent over head first in the coop. I picked her up and she was breathing but very weak and couldn't keep hers open long. I checked to see if she was bound and she was. I removed her from the coop, put together a box (holding her the entire time). When I set her into the box to take her inside for a warm bath, she must have had a heart attack as she threw her head back at me and died in my arms. Damnit

So sad in Colorado today

6. COgeorge

COgeorge In the Brooder

May 26, 2018
    BTW...thanks for your assistance

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. It sounds a lot like she has a sinus issue maybe from the insertion of the pin on the peeper/blinder.

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :) Good thought CG!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: