Comb turning pale. Cause for concern? PLEASE advise!

R_V

Chirping
Aug 27, 2017
These past few days (thinking around since three days ago) my hen has been going around with a massive diarrhea attack. Now, it seems that her comb is turning white in certain areas. Attached are pictures of this.

I believe the diarrhea can best be attributed to the raw rice she has been getting mixed in with her pellets so, for the time being, she and her sisters are off of that. She has never before shown diahrea so I'm hoping this is nothing serious.

I'm currently supplementing their water with electrolytes and ACV (1 teaspoon each per gallon of fresh water). No prolapsed vent, either. I'm keeping her butt as clean as possible so as to not get another case of fly strike.

Please advise wonderful people!

Attachments

• 20200606_172522.jpg
    20200606_172522.jpg
    955.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200606_172538.jpg
    20200606_172538.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20200606_172553.jpg
    20200606_172553.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 1
Could the change in comb color be an attribute to whatever is causing the diarrhea?

Stop all of the extras and feed ONLY the commercially made balanced chicken feed and see if things return to normal.

ACV isn't going to do a thing.
Electrolytes aren't meant for daily use either.

Stop all of the extras and feed ONLY the commercially made balanced chicken feed and see if things return to normal.

ACV isn't going to do a thing.
Electrolytes aren't meant for daily use either.

I haven't done electrolyte water daily. Only once in the timeframe since I've started to see a change. Thank you. I'll continue to monitor.

I haven't done electrolyte water daily. Only once in the timeframe since I've started to see a change. Thank you. I'll continue to monitor.
Have you checked her well for lice?

I've heard it was okay to do this? Of course, only in small quantities. The whole phrase "Too much of one thing is bad".
It's not okay. They don't have the correct enzyme balance to digest it properly. You can feed them cooked rice.

Back
Top Bottom