Comb type ?

rebeccaH86

Songster
6 Years
May 22, 2015
Southern California
What type of comb would you say Olive has ? She is the only one out of the bunch I kept from my june 3rd hatch that doesn't have a straight comb. I'm not completely sure what breed they are i was informed by someone on here that they could be favucanas since they also have feathered toes .
Screenshot_20201024-122659_Gallery.jpg
20201024_122724.jpg

She is the only one out of the bunch I kept from my june 3rd hatch that doesn't have a straight comb.
Modified pea comb.

I'm not completely sure what breed they are i was informed by someone on here that they could be favucanas since they also have feathered toes .
The parent birds?
Do you have the parent birds?

Yes it would be interesting to know the parents. I think they are a cross of two different breeds. Figuring out genetics can be challenging but fun. Strange as it may seem, knowing which country you are in might even help in determining what the parentage might be. You never can tell when knowing your general location can come in handy.

Some genes are dominant, some are recessive. The Pea comb gene is neither, it is partially dominant. If both genes at that gene pair are Pea, you get the full effect of the Pea comb. If one is Pea and one is not-Pea, you get some effect but not the full effect. So yes, that looks like a funky Pea comb.

The other basic comb type is Rose, which is fully dominant. If just one gene at that gene pair (a different gene pair than the Pea) is Rose then you get the full effect of the Rose gene.
The way that works is a pea gene means a pea effect, full or partial. A rose gene gives a full rose effect. Both pea and rose together means a walnut (cushion) effect. No pea and no rise means a single comb. That's pretty simple. But something that complicates it (there is always something in chicken genetics that complicates it) is that there a re a lot of other genes that affect what the comb looks like. Tall, short, floppy, stiff, number of points, and others. While there are only four basic types of combs you can get a wide variety of looks.

Back
Top Bottom