Combining new chicks..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thechickenchick2, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Thechickenchick2

Thechickenchick2 Songster

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    We recently got black sex link chicks (3 weeks old) and today we got some golden laced Wyandottes and some straight run mixed bantams...

I was hoping to maybe combine some of the birds in a brooder - either all of the new chicks or the 3 week old sex links and the wyandottes.

Any suggestions/experiences? If we need 3 brooder than that’s exactly what we’ll do but I’d like to just have 2 if possible!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    How big is the first brooder?Would just throw them all together.I have never had an issue escpecially with baby chicks,you should be fine.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I'd be a bit worried about the banties. Does your current brooder have 2 s.f. per bird, including allowing that amount of space if you added the new ones? How many 3 week olds, and how many of the new Wyandottes, and how many banties?

If your birds are brooded in the house, the 3 week olds should be off heat by now. Given that, I think I'd set them up separate, but with a wire divider between, and give heat just to the new ones.

4. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    We made a good sized brooder. They have lots of room in there.. I just worried about the 3 week olds trampling the bantams .. thanks so much!

5. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    We have six 3 week olds, 6 bantams and 6 Wyandottes... our brooder is plenty big for all of them.. I just worried about the 3 week olds and the bantams. We are giving the chicks another week under the lamp as they are in our cool basement... thanks so much!

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Eh wouldn’t worry,just watch them
    Very closely.

7. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Thanks! I was hoping that so it would make the transition outside that much easier as well.. I would like to avoid having to do a million different introductions

8. If you do decide to put them together, I take the ones in the brooder out, then put the new babies in, and put them back:)

9. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Great advice! Didn’t think of that - thanks!

FamilyFarm12 likes this.
  10. No problem:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: