Combining new chicks..

Thechickenchick2

Songster
Mar 15, 2018
Rhode Island
We recently got black sex link chicks (3 weeks old) and today we got some golden laced Wyandottes and some straight run mixed bantams...

I was hoping to maybe combine some of the birds in a brooder - either all of the new chicks or the 3 week old sex links and the wyandottes.

Any suggestions/experiences? If we need 3 brooder than that’s exactly what we’ll do but I’d like to just have 2 if possible!

How big is the first brooder?Would just throw them all together.I have never had an issue escpecially with baby chicks,you should be fine.

I'd be a bit worried about the banties. Does your current brooder have 2 s.f. per bird, including allowing that amount of space if you added the new ones? How many 3 week olds, and how many of the new Wyandottes, and how many banties?

If your birds are brooded in the house, the 3 week olds should be off heat by now. Given that, I think I'd set them up separate, but with a wire divider between, and give heat just to the new ones.

I'd be a bit worried about the banties. Does your current brooder have 2 s.f. per bird, including allowing that amount of space if you added the new ones? How many 3 week olds, and how many of the new Wyandottes, and how many banties?

If your birds are brooded in the house, the 3 week olds should be off heat by now. Given that, I think I'd set them up separate, but with a wire divider between, and give heat just to the new ones.
We have six 3 week olds, 6 bantams and 6 Wyandottes... our brooder is plenty big for all of them.. I just worried about the 3 week olds and the bantams. We are giving the chicks another week under the lamp as they are in our cool basement... thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom