1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Combs and wattle

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hobby, Jan 24, 2013.

1. hobby

hobby Out Of The Brooder

I have eight chicks that are five weeks old. Four have large combs and the other four do not. Only one has wattles. Can the gender be determined by this? Any feedback would be greatful.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, usually the combs of the cockerels will be growing earlier than the pullets.That's one of the best ways at that age. With some breeds the males' legs will be thicker and longer too. When they get new feathers the males will have pointed feathers and females rounder. The tails will begin to look differently then too.

3. hobby

hobby Out Of The Brooder

Thank you.

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    the pointed saddle(back) and hackle(neck) feathers on the males will come in around 3-4 months old. if you post pictures, we should be able to help you sex them

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its not 100% right. if you post pics we can give you an idea but wait till they are at least 8 weeks to post pics and then you ca repost at 16 weeks of age if you still have not been able to sex them. you can also look up my article: is my chicken a pullet or cockerel for ways to sex

6. hobby

hobby Out Of The Brooder

I will wait a few weeks and post some pictures. Thank y'all for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by