Combs on chicks

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
Maybe I'm just crazy, or maybe it's just been too long since I've taken a good look at a newly hatched chick...but do they normally pop out with a comb? I had a large mixed baby hatch out yesterday, moved him this morning, and the first thing I noticed was a lovely little single comb popping up. Perhaps I just don't pay that much attention because I know I won't be able to tell their sex by their comb until later on. I dunno
hu.gif

Yeah I thought I was just going crazy
tongue.png
I guess the sun bleached my brain today, LOL.
But anyways, here's some pictures anyways!
big_smile.png
S/He's such a cute little guy/girl. Any idea on what color he might be? S/He's already getting old! Notice the lovely random white 'hairs' on his/her back
lol.png

154vtx1.jpg

mt77tx.jpg

30b353m.jpg

15rfk40.jpg

bflx5c.jpg

This one BETTER be a girl! I haven't hatched many eggs from my sex-links (covered by a RIR/Sexlink mix roo, RJ)....but every one that I have....were boys!
barnie.gif

Oh yes, when he popped out we were surprised. He's a big fluffy butt for sure. He was also the first to hatch. One bantam hatched the day after him, but the rest of the eggs (large and bantam) hatched today. I guess he was a bit cramped and decided he wanted out NOW!
tongue2.gif

I had a Marans chick that didn't hatch
and when I opened the egg to try to figure out why, the chick had a very promanent cockscomb. It was an elongated egg that z friend gave me.
I had my doubts wither it would hatch and it didn't. I will never do that again. It was the waste of a good egg and a precious little life that didn't make it. The egg was too narrow for the chick to be able to move into position to pierce the air cell and it was a robust chick.

Back
Top Bottom