Combs - Roo or no Roo.....that is the question.

MinnesotaNice

Songster
Apr 20, 2015
Minnesota
Alrighty, so I've looked at every thread possible in relation to gender, etc. My confusion still remains with the different comb types and what to look for in regards to Pullet vs. Roo. Males and females both get the red combs and wattles and it throws me off. My chicks are cross breeds (well, some may be pure and some....okay, most....may be crosses). The possible crosses are Araucana, RIR, Buff orpington, Buff Brahma, Light brahma, Dark Brahma, Giant Buff Cochin, Giant Blue Cochin, Barred Rock, Blue Andalusian, Salmon Favorelle, Langshan, Black Australorp, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, Cuckoo Maran, Ameraucana, Speckled Sussex, Mottled Cochin, Columbian Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Black Wyandotte, and White Wyandotte. I know. I'll have to think this through a bit more next time I get chicks.

I have some obvious Roos so far with single combs. In regards to rose and pea combs, is it more of a waiting game? I've pretty much concluded I may have to wait a few months until it's painfully obvious : ) Doesn't hurt to learn a little along the way, however. The chicks below are closing in on 5 weeks old.

Roos:

Maybe Roo:

Here are two more of my 5 wk olds. Not too much change in their combs yet. My fingers are crossed for at least a few pullets out of the 13 chick straight run.

Well they should have a bit smaller combs but the mixed breed thing even s that out. But the hens should have more yellow/beige/tan combs for a while I believe then turn pink red as they get older. Keep a look out for streamers and sickles~ if you can get a whole body photo I might be able to help look for early signs of them (but I had a supposed girl for 4 months or so, and then it grew sickles XC)

I'll see if I can get some better full body and comb pictures. So, in most cases, Rooster combs will turn red more quickly as the chick ages? Like I mentioned, I'm going to keep them all until it's painfully obvious. Meaning, no eggs and crowing! It's a very interesting learning experience with all these cross breeds.....

P.S. I had to google what sickles were : ) That's about how much I know LOL

This is the same chick @ 5 wks - I'm thinking pullet for this one. It's still pretty "fluffy" yet though.

Last edited:
Alrighty, so I've looked at every thread possible in relation to gender, etc. My confusion still remains with the different comb types and what to look for in regards to Pullet vs. Roo. Males and females both get the red combs and wattles and it throws me off. My chicks are cross breeds (well, some may be pure and some....okay, most....may be crosses). The possible crosses are Araucana, RIR, Buff orpington, Buff Brahma, Light brahma, Dark Brahma, Giant Buff Cochin, Giant Blue Cochin, Barred Rock, Blue Andalusian, Salmon Favorelle, Langshan, Black Australorp, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, Cuckoo Maran, Ameraucana, Speckled Sussex, Mottled Cochin, Columbian Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Black Wyandotte, and White Wyandotte. I know. I'll have to think this through a bit more next time I get chicks.

I have some obvious Roos so far with single combs. In regards to rose and pea combs, is it more of a waiting game? I've pretty much concluded I may have to wait a few months until it's painfully obvious : ) Doesn't hurt to learn a little along the way, however. The chicks below are closing in on 5 weeks old.

Roos:

Maybe Roo:

These three look like your only cockerels to me.

Back
Top Bottom