combs that turn blue in parts sometimes

My favorite BO "Opal" (8.5 month old pullet) just started having this problem yesterday. Her comb was purple in the back yesterday, and now today the whole thing is purple.
sad.png
She's active and eating and drinking...she seems to be feeling fine, but I'm worried about her...
sad.png

I hope it's just stress like DawnSuiter suggested. We just added 12 new babies last week (7 wks old), which nearly doubled the flock, so that could be stressing her out. Also, the weather has been changing and fluctuating rapidly. We had a very hot dry summer, but now that it's fall, we're getting a lot of rain. Also, the temperature dropped when a cold front came through. It was in the upper 90's on Thursday, then yesterday morning it went from 80 to 60 in about 30 seconds...literally...then I think it was in the 50's last night. That's a 40 degree drop in 24 hours, but obviously not frostbite weather.

Another explanation could be the roosters...I have 3, and 2 of them are little banties. When it was purple in the back yesterday, I thought it might be a bruise from the little roo's grabbing her comb...but then it's purple all over today, so they either grabbed her more, or that's not the answer.

I will also check them carefully for lice and mites today...at least I can treat for that and then she could get better.

Please let me know your thoughts...either good or bad...

Hopefully I found and fixed my problem...I inspected my birds and found tiny little bugs under their wings on the feathers. I posted pics of one of the bugs in the Predator and Pest section and found out my birds have Lice. YUCK! They didn't even show the other signs of Lice, like egg clusters on the base of the feathers near the vent...

I used Sevin dust and now Opal's comb looks almost back to normal
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
I don't like using poisons/pesticides, but in this case I had to deal with an infestation quickly before my Opal got sicker, or died.

Sneezing, coughing, congestion, purple or dark combs, runny nose etc. is CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease or Airsacculitis ) It causes a hole in the air sac, and infection in the lungs and it can be fatal very quickly once the comb changes colors. Chickens breathe 9 times to our 1. I have found that the underlying causes are moist or wet rainy conditions or dusty envirements. I use 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon SpecLinx 50 to one gallon of water for 7 days minimum to 10 days maximum. I usually treat my birds 2 to 3 days before a cold rain or the first sign of a bird sneezing.

new 5 month old his his comb does this too at times it goes at times but it goes away and at times it feels kinda cold to the touch but then again at other times hits really warn ..his mommy just died we dunno what happened to her and I don't think she was eb either I was told males could have a bad heart if this happens and its a gen thing ..so maybe mommy passed it along and that's why she died ...I cant fig it out and she just died a week and 1/2 ago

Last edited:
I've got the same thing happening with my white leghorn hen. She about 7 months old and she lays every day. I noticed it 2 days ago when I went out to shut them in for the night. The next morning it was gone. Then last night it was back and it was still there this morning however by late morning it was back to red. Her comb flops over and is a good size. I went out at dark and checked her and the two others for mites and lice, found none. I've inspected the coop and found nothing to indicate pest. I clean the coop daily and deep clean it monthly. I know there are no internal parasites because one of the hens had to hospitalizd for 6 days after a dog attack and the vet checked her, she was clean. I would assume that means all are clean since they're always together. I just don't know what it is , she very happy, eats great and has full access to water. It's really strange.

My RIR hen has a large floppy comb and the tips toward the back of the comb will get purplish and feel cold. I gently massage the area and then it's all normal looking again. She is healthy, no mites or lice, eats and drinks well, and is spoiled rotten. My guess is maybe due to the comb being bent over it is cutting off some circulation? I don't know, this is just a guess. It's all I got.lol

THANK YOU ALL! The stress factor that some of you mentioned is more than likely this extreme heat we are having. Into the high 90's and lower 100's.
I check often for mites with this weather (also getting some tremendous storms). Again, thank you...I'm such a mother hen. the pun is intended.

This has happened to a couple of my hens when their combs flop over funny. It will turn blue in small parts, like the circulation is cut off, and it will be cold even if it's the summer.

But my girls are perfectly healthy and hydrated! I think it's just a fluke because I've noticed now that my BO's funky comb has grown even larger it doesn't flop quite the same, and it doesn't turn blue in the back anymore.
Did yours look like this? Trying to decide if this is a problem in our girl who appears otherwise healthy and parasite free.

Attachments

• 148F3B88-B6BB-49BE-9DC5-8CD0B9CCD906.jpeg
    148F3B88-B6BB-49BE-9DC5-8CD0B9CCD906.jpeg
    696.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 11C4F4B1-EEEF-442C-B03C-E57AAEF13ED5.jpeg
    11C4F4B1-EEEF-442C-B03C-E57AAEF13ED5.jpeg
    886 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom