Combs vs ready to lay????????????????????

Quote:
I shouldn't "quote" myself, but I failed to mention that our girls will be 26 weeks on Wednesday (Oct. 6), and I wanted you to know the ages of the chickens.

You know, my Welsummers have looked ready for weeks and weeks and weeks. They are 25 weeks right now, no squats from them and no eggs. One of my 23-week EEs started preening the rooster, got a darker comb & face, squatted for me, and her first egg arrived -- all within a week's time. I thought she'd be last and she was first! I'm starting to think it's about as predictable as the roulette wheel.

When I got my 4 leghorn/australorp mixes(not 50/50, 25/75 mostly leghorn I think), I was told they'd lay at 18weeks. After reading threads like this, I realize that is probably optomistic. It seems to be more like a "it'll happen when it happens" thing. Mine are about 13-14weeks now.

My leghorns layed at 16 weeks no joke...Now the other ladies are 16 weeks.Come on...
yippiechickie.gif

My australorps have been really red for awhile now....still waiting. They are about 20 weeks. I don't expect anything from my Brahma for awhile, since she is such a big bird. She is roughly the same age as the others.

I have 8 hens hatched the first week of March. Only 4 of them have begun to lay. I have no idea why the remaining 4 have not laid yet but it has helped my patience to be getting around 3-4 eggs on a daily basis.

Mine never did do the squat. I just noticed Bob, the rooster, took a liking to them and shortly after that I had eggs. My BO's are going to be old maids. Never have sex and never have childern. Bob has only shown interest in one and all she did was scream and run.
hmm.png
3 barren pullets/old maids.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom