1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Combs & Watlles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jarzmom, Nov 5, 2009.

1. jarzmom

jarzmom New Egg

Oct 7, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have 4 barred plymouth rocks & 4 golden wyandots. 24 weeks. 2 of them (1 of each breed, and the barred rock{Barb}just started layin this week) have large very red combs & wattles, some have small, while others really have non at all. They all will eventually have full ones? And they don't lay until they do?

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yepp [​IMG] The girls combs tend to fill out and brighten up once they start laying.. I say tend to because my ISA still looks like a baby, but I'm getting 3 eggs a day [​IMG] late bloomer I guess.

3. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Some develop earlier than others. I'm raising WR's and I have one really big girl who I thought was a cockerel when they were still in the guessing stage because she was growing big red wattles and comb so early. She's 3 months old and as big as my cockerels of the same age but with the body, tail and feathers of the other pullets. I expect great things from her! She's a huge gal who stomps around like a dinosaur. [​IMG] Then some of the other pullets, all the same age, have tiny little non-existent combs and wattles.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They mature at different rates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by