come home to two hens dragging a leg! cannot walk!

ooltewah

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Ooltewah, TN
Ok, So I have been treating all of my chickens with Tylan shots for two nights, there is a respiratory illness going around. Tonight, I come home and all seem better as far as breathing, but two are on the floor and dragging a leg! the foot is drawn up. Could it be from the shot I gave them last night in their thigh? It was on this side, or is it Merreks? They are about 6-7months old. I'm starting to think having chickens is not for me. I get so attached and it seems everyday brings more challenges! So, what do I do? Will they all just die?

Did you pull back on the syringe to check for blood when you gave the shot? Usually shots are given into the breast muscle or under the skin in the back of the neck. I suppose it is possible that it was given into the vein or hit a nerve. If it was in the same leg as the shot, I wouldn't think it was Mareks at this time. Tomorrow I would get them on some vitamins since that sometimes helps leg problems and curled toes due to vitamin deficiency. Maybe try some warm wet compresses (like a washcloth) for 10 min at a time to the legs. I would switch the shots to giving it orally. Both Tylan 50 and 200 can be given orally.

Last edited:
No I didn't because they were fighting me and I didn't have any help. I will try the by mouth option and add vitamins. I just hope they will drink and eat. I cannot possibly syringe feed all of them. Thank you

No I didn't because they were fighting me and I didn't have any help. I will try the by mouth option and add vitamins. I just hope they will drink and eat. I cannot possibly syringe feed all of them. Thank you

Sounds like my place. Giving shots to a chicken is pretty hard by yourself. The vitamins can go in the water if they are the powder kind, or the polyvisol (no iron) can be put on food. Wishing you good luck.

Back
Top Bottom