Come One, Come All to the Greatest Unofficial Bird Show for the Nest Two Weeks (No Prizes)

And this glow up from feisty coop roof runner to chonkiest birb is Pester. Pester is best birb, perfect in all ways, alpha but gentle, protecting her sisters calmly from the highest roost.

Attachments

• 52EB46AB-6361-40AC-86DA-D525CE8970F1.jpeg
    52EB46AB-6361-40AC-86DA-D525CE8970F1.jpeg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 2
  • F46B7B5C-DB61-401A-B829-106279691CC2.jpeg
    F46B7B5C-DB61-401A-B829-106279691CC2.jpeg
    567.2 KB · Views: 2
I'll try to make a long story short. I have many birds. When the geese had finished their laying and setting there were two eggs left in a nest that didn't hatch. I threw them into a trash box on table next to barn for next day's trash to go out. They were forgotten about. About a week later my husband went to turn off lights in barn he'd left on. He heard baby sounds. He searched and found one of the eggs had pipped and she was looking out at him while being eaten alive by ants. He ran to the house with the egg, I removed the shell, washed her up in warm water and she slept on my chest first couple nights. It was touch and go. She did survive but having a house goose wasn't something I wanted to do much longer as she grew. She did go to the barn and outside everyday with me. One day I told her she'd have to learn to live out in the barn until she got bigger. I put her into a big cage in the Rabbitry, she went crazy. I went over to a chick brooder and got her a baby chicken. She lived it from the start. It lived with her and when they got a little bigger I let them out more and more. Lucky really loved her chicken. He was her emotional support chicken. I have done this with many other animals and it works. She treated him as though he were her baby even though she was a baby herself. He grew up as Dodger. Lucky would take Dodger out for food, water and sunning. Now Lucky is a grown girl and Dodger became violent and had to go to camp. Lucky soon joined up with the flock of geese and this coming season she will be old enough to lay and raise her own babies. She is quite the chatterbox and still sweet.
IMG_20190703_084344041.jpg

Mondo the emotional support Pekin Duck and stepdad to his adopted son Chuck. (Mondo never was accepted into Pekin flock for some reason idk) Chuck was a Large Fowl White Cornish. He raised Chuck from a very small age as he has raised other birds from fragile ages. Chuck was a single egg that was hatched under a chicken that hid in the woods but when she came home a hawk got her. So Mondo stepped up and took the tiny chick to raise. Sadly Chuck was also attacked by a hawk. He did not make it.
IMG_20200116_152335629.jpg

This is Nutmeg, our ~14 week old Buff Orpington. She has been a character since we brought home our flock of 4 about 2 months ago. The photo of her little is the day after we got her. She was the one poking her beak out of the holes in the box on the way home and climbing up on the feeder to peek thru the mesh of the brooder box. She is forever curious and always has that look in her eye: "whatchya up to Mom?" She taught the other chicks to roost and is the sentry watching out for danger. And she is forever photobombing! Earlier this week, we had a scare where we saw her eat a piece of milkweed which we had not yet (but now have) removed from our yard now that the girls are often free ranging. She didn't roost that night & we were so worried that we hardly slept. But she made it thru and was up and being her precocious self the next morning. Thank goodness bc we couldn't imagine our flock without her!
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG

Back
Top Bottom