Comercial layers for back yard?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Don Jr, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Don Jr

Don Jr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    What yall think? And maybe cross with RIR!

2. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I had a couple (Free Bird and Loosey) of commercial pullets that managed to escape from one of those horrible hen transport trucks on their way to the egg farm. They were the red sex links and did great in my flock of EE's. They lived in a coop at night with free range during the day.

3. Don Jr

Don Jr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    I already have sex links. I want some comercial leg horns to cross with a RIR.

4. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    My father picked up some white leghorns at an auction cheap. They looked horrible, especially with their mutilated beaks an tattered feathers. I was totally prepared to hate the breed and believed them to be stupid and inferior to other chickens.

But they turned out to be wonderful chickens. Once they got over their initial scare of being outside a cage, they did wonderfully. Their feathers, which had been dull and dirty, cleaned up beautifully. They took to free ranging like they were born to it and outlay all my other birds. They are now in the 3-4 year range, continue to lay up a storm, and are nice and friendly chickens.

It's a crime that these nice birds are confined to a cage when they are meant to be free.

Get some leghorns, and some Rhodies, and some easter eggers, and some wellsummers or maurans. That way you will always have a rainbow of eggs.

btw - leghorn crosses can lay white, cream, or light brown eggs. You won't really know what they will lay until they start laying.[​IMG]

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Okay in what world were leghorns meant to be free, they were breed to be egg laying machines(which they are) they have one of the if not the best food to egg conversion ratio. If leghorns were free and running wild there would be just as many WILD leghorns as there are now. 0 There is a reason why White there are no wild Leghorns. Because in the GAME of Nature, white is the easiest to be spotted and becomes pray for the same reason. [​IMG]

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I had a few Pearl Leghorns at one time. "Egg laying machines" about sums it up! I don't know how she did it, but one bird was putting out 3 eggs every 2 days for the first year or so. Whoppin' great big eggs, too! How anyone managed to squeeze such a big egg-laying apparatus into such small hens, I'll never know. These girls were all business. They weren't cranky or nasty, but they weren't really friendly, either. You might say that ours was more of a professional relationship. They liked free-ranging a little too well - I had to keep their wings clipped to keep them inside the pasture fence.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by