Comet Roo-What to do with him?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smith2, Oct 4, 2008.

1. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I acquired 2 Comet roos in a swap. They are really pretty. Can you use Golden Comet Roos for any type of breeding like other sex-link crosses, etc. or should I just throw them in the pot? I don't need any roos, but if I can use them for anything reasonable in breeding I will. Any ideas??

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    get golden comet hens and sell "Pure golden comet eggs" [​IMG] what some people seem to be doing.. theres another post "ranting" about it

-Daniel

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Daniel is referring to my "rant". I dont think it was a rant, per se, just showing what misleading advertising I see in the Farmer's Market Bulletin all the time, though probably through ignorance of the facts, not intended deceit. Someone was selling "purebred" Golden Comets and by definition, they are a hybrid, not purebred. They cant be used in a sexlink breeding. You can certainly use them or one of them to watch over your girls. They will mate, produce chicks and protect just like other roosters do. If you breed a GC male to a GC female, there will not be reliably sexlinked chicks. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone will correct me here.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  4. LoveMyPeeps

LoveMyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like the ridiculous 'purebred' designer dogs like Goldendoodle and Peke-a-Poos. Come pay $1100 for a mutt! [​IMG]

5. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:yeah. i just thought "ranting" would be a more fun word to use. i know [​IMG]

-Daniel

6. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:cant forget -Yorkie-poo, pomapoos. and... loads more mutts being called "purebreds" When their uglier then the originals and usually cost twice as much!.... people are just buying them because their "rare"... i could probably go pick one just like it up at the pound for 30 dollars. turn around sell it for 500....good plan [​IMG]

-Daniel

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  7. LoveMyPeeps

LoveMyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Upstate NY
    It blows my mind! I run a rescue, so I deal with nonsense quite a bit. My husband and I joke that we could 'market' any of our mutts as Super Designer Purebreds... Would you call a German Shepherd/Siberian Husky cross a German Husky or a Siberian Shepherd? [​IMG] No matter, you could still fetch a pretty penny for a 'purebred' one! [​IMG]

Seriously, I wish people would just go to shelters and rescues, rather than patronize breeders of these mutts.

8. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    I have a Northern Illinois Speckle Paw - he's so unique he's the only one. I also have a Blueberry Basset (merle colored basset mix). Once when I told someone Flipper was a Northern Illinois Speckle Paw they wanted to know where they could get one. When I told them the animal shelter I think they were offended :eek:.

9. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:Lol I got my Border Lab (Border Collie Lab mix) for free and then i start seeing signs for them for like $800. All i had to do was go for a walk one day and stop at a house with a sign saying FREE PUPPIES! Just go pick up a stray guess at what breeds its parents were and all of a sudden you have a designer dog! [​IMG]

There really isn't a reason to keep Golden comet roos. I'd throw them in the pot.

10. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    You all are so right. Our daughter-in-law paid $700 for a pom-a-poo... When she told us about it I'm sure DH and I stood there with our mouths open. [​IMG] Amazing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by