Comet Roo-What to do with him?

smith2

Songster
14 Years
Jan 5, 2008
Paris, TN
I acquired 2 Comet roos in a swap. They are really pretty. Can you use Golden Comet Roos for any type of breeding like other sex-link crosses, etc. or should I just throw them in the pot? I don't need any roos, but if I can use them for anything reasonable in breeding I will. Any ideas??

get golden comet hens and sell "Pure golden comet eggs"
tongue.png
what some people seem to be doing.. theres another post "ranting" about it

-Daniel

Daniel is referring to my "rant". I dont think it was a rant, per se, just showing what misleading advertising I see in the Farmer's Market Bulletin all the time, though probably through ignorance of the facts, not intended deceit. Someone was selling "purebred" Golden Comets and by definition, they are a hybrid, not purebred. They cant be used in a sexlink breeding. You can certainly use them or one of them to watch over your girls. They will mate, produce chicks and protect just like other roosters do. If you breed a GC male to a GC female, there will not be reliably sexlinked chicks. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone will correct me here.

Last edited:
Quote:
cant forget -Yorkie-poo, pomapoos. and... loads more mutts being called "purebreds" When their uglier then the originals and usually cost twice as much!.... people are just buying them because their "rare"... i could probably go pick one just like it up at the pound for 30 dollars. turn around sell it for 500....good plan
wink.png

-Daniel

Last edited:
It blows my mind! I run a rescue, so I deal with nonsense quite a bit. My husband and I joke that we could 'market' any of our mutts as Super Designer Purebreds... Would you call a German Shepherd/Siberian Husky cross a German Husky or a Siberian Shepherd?
tongue.png
No matter, you could still fetch a pretty penny for a 'purebred' one!
lol.png

Seriously, I wish people would just go to shelters and rescues, rather than patronize breeders of these mutts.

I have a Northern Illinois Speckle Paw - he's so unique he's the only one. I also have a Blueberry Basset (merle colored basset mix). Once when I told someone Flipper was a Northern Illinois Speckle Paw they wanted to know where they could get one. When I told them the animal shelter I think they were offended :eek:.

Quote:
Lol I got my Border Lab (Border Collie Lab mix) for free and then i start seeing signs for them for like $800. All i had to do was go for a walk one day and stop at a house with a sign saying FREE PUPPIES! Just go pick up a stray guess at what breeds its parents were and all of a sudden you have a designer dog!
big_smile.png

There really isn't a reason to keep Golden comet roos. I'd throw them in the pot.

Back
Top Bottom