Coming out of lurkdom with a hello and a question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SHC in FL, May 21, 2012.

1. SHC in FL

SHC in FL Hatching

Mar 29, 2012
    Hi everyone. I've been lurking at this site for the past couple of months -- lots of great info for a newbie chicken owner. We started our flock of seven hens (we hope) in late March.

We have four reds from a TSC "red pullet" bin and three Australorps from another place. The reds are nine weeks old, and the 'Lorps are eight weeks. All seem to be doing fine.

At first, I was under the impression that the reds were RIRs, but having looked up images online (including here), I'm now thinking they are either Red Stars or Golden Comets. There are pictures of both of those types that look just like my chickens. Here's a picture of some of my flock:
    [​IMG]

The one in the foreground is the most aggressive of the bunch -- not mean, just bold. She's actually pretty friendly -- she'll land on my chair and let me pet her. I'm really hoping she's a hen since we can't keep roosters here.

Here's one of the 'Lorps:
    [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me the differences between Red Stars and Golden Comets, if any? Do these chickens look like pullets to you? Thanks in advance.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

They are both what is known as "production reds", from different hatcheries. Each hatchery has their own "recipe" of breeds to make their production brown egg layers.

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. SHC in FL

SHC in FL Hatching

Mar 29, 2012
    Thanks! I gather from that there's no appreciable difference in the two types, then: Each hatchery has its own brew. We'll see how they do when it comes to egg laying. I'm pleased with the personalities so far as all are pretty friendly toward humans and other birds.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Stan says those are pullets.

[​IMG]

8. SHC in FL

SHC in FL Hatching

Mar 29, 2012
    Well, he certainly looks like he'd know a pullet from a cockerel! Thanks, Stan!

9. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Songster

May 26, 2011
    Roanoke County, Virginia
    Welcome fellow Floridian!

Yes, your reds look just like mine. They were sold as gold sex links. I think mine are a week older than yours, but yours sound more friendly than mine. They do not like to be touched and only approach if I have food. :(

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: