Common types of bacteria in coops?

Staphylococcus...probably more that I can't think of at the moment.
Googled...these are zoontonics:
Listeria monocytogenes(not as common)
Campylobacter

Are you going to do an experiment/study?
Do you have access to culturing equipment and microscope?
Would be fascinated to know the details.

Thank you @aart for your reply and interest!

Yes, I am doing an experiment. For my Microbiology class, I was assigned to come up with an experiment that tests some kind of antibiotic that isn't a medicine.
I decided to test the antibiotic properties of different citrus fruit using their juices and oils from their rinds as natural coop disinfectants.
The class gives me access to all my culturing and microscope needs.

Please feel free to let me know if you have more questions!

Yes, I am doing an experiment. For my Microbiology class, I was assigned to come up with an experiment that tests some kind of antibiotic that isn't a medicine.
I decided to test the antibiotic properties of different citrus fruit using their juices and oils from their rinds as natural coop disinfectants.

That's cool.....I did a micro class as part of my job in a biological clean room, we cultured and tested sanitizing agents. I learned a ton. I can't remember the bacterium we used......learned that even bleach won't kill them so well.

Great experiment! Please keep us updated with your findings! :)

That's cool.....I did a micro class as part of my job in a biological clean room, we cultured and tested sanitizing agents. I learned a ton. I can't remember the bacterium we used......learned that even bleach won't kill them so well.

That's awesome. Yeah, there's a lot of crazy bacteria out there, for our first lab we swabbed any environmental sample we wanted and I did the bottom of my shoe.....I had to stain more bacteria than anyone in class lol.

Great experiment! Please keep us updated with your findings! :)

Thanks, I will! :D

That's awesome. Yeah, there's a lot of crazy bacteria out there, for our first lab we swabbed any environmental sample we wanted and I did the bottom of my shoe.....I had to stain more bacteria than anyone in class lol.
Were you able to ID it all under the scope?
We just grew a few colonies and then tried to kill them with 4 different agents.

Were you able to ID it all under the scope?
We just grew a few colonies and then tried to kill them with 4 different agents.

We're actually still in the middle of that lab, and I haven't been at school the last few weeks because of a surgery so I'm behind, but we did start looking at them under the microscope. So, I will ID all 14 of my bacteria eventually!
Part of the lab is learning to identify them based on their appearance, shape (circles or rods), and how they are laid out (paired, clustered, etc.).

Research and micro! Love them both. I would imagine you will find several different strains of bacteria in a coop. What doesn’t come from their gut, gets tracked in from the ground. Let me know if you get stumped on identification. And yes keep us updated and feel free to bounce ideas off of us.

Back
Top Bottom