Community Nest Boxes - Let me see 'em!

Ondra's Seramas :

Almost forgot we have a cat litter pan. They love it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/23256_img_1845.jpg

My community nest box is a covered cat box too! My 6 chickens share it - not at the same time of course so I am thinking I will need another!!!!
ya.gif

I am really loving the cat box idea too! I had a bedside stand that had a big drawer in the bottom with small drawer in top. I ment to repaint it and use it but never did. I took out the bottom drawer and stuck it in the broody bantam coop and they all use it. Plus I can store eggs in the top drawer in some hay. Ill have to get pics! Use what you have is my motto!

Quote:
Another great thing about the cat boxes is that you can change the nest material very easily and hose them off if they get dirty!
ya.gif

The drawers in our 100 yr old kitchen cabinets finally had to go ... but with a few scraps of wood and a good coat of paint, this one will soon be our community nesting box. Here's hoping our little BO pullets will know what to do with it when the time comes
hu.gif

25641_105_0329.jpg

I was inspired by this idea and had DH take the dividers out and put a front with a center opening. We already had a lift open top. All 19 girls were all laying in two of the five nest boxes resulting in a lot of broken eggs and kicked out litter. In the last couple of days I caught several going under another shed and laying where I can't reach. So today we revamped the 5 nest boxes to a community nest box and they've taken right to it. He also blocked off the opening to get under the shed so they'll have to either lay in the new box or find another secret hiding place.
lau.gif

Last edited:
What a wonderful idea! I am so glad I looked at this thread!! Now I know how I want my nest boxes and now I only have to cut a hole in the outside wall to go into the 5 foot by 2 foot box ie..community nest box! LOVE IT THANKS BYC! ya'll are great.

Back
Top Bottom