Community Nest Boxes - Let me see 'em!

I see not one single community nest box on your page, thus your reply is off topic. Mind how you reply, lest it be thought of as spam, placed solely there for the advancement of your own business.

And with that, I will say no more.

Just thinking you can probably use a closet organizer - the ones that look like shoe shelves, but wider.
hu.gif

I had a double wide nest box with no divider (next to a regular sized box) and the chickens steadfastly refused to use it. I put a divider in and they seem a lot more willing. Before that I had 10 birds queuing up to use one box and occasionally climbing up on each other.

Reading earlier posts I could see that a cat box would be a cool option, but only if you have a spare one around that you aren't using, because they are pretty pricey. It would be cheaper to build one
smile.png

Last edited:
Well, we're still working on our newest coop, but this will basically give you an idea. I think it qualifies as a community nest box - there are no wall dividers. Each of those dish pan bins are at least 15"x12"x6" and there will be 6 per level. There will be a bar up front for them to jump up on before stepping into the nests... and down below on the very bottom is going to be our chick brooder. (We'll see how that works out....)

IMG_20110918_182313.jpg

Last edited:
Darkwolf, This should qualify as a community nest box as per your request. I did my homework before designing my coop and realized that divided nest boxes were not needed. So my design incorperated two large boxes( 5' long each) with a single divider in the center purely for support purposes. The girls have no problem sharing. They are accessible from the outside of the coop for egg collection.
Erik

69010_nest-vinylgirls_006.jpg
This photo shows one of two identical boxes opened from rear to give a perspective as to size.

Back
Top Bottom