compacted crop

Deanw

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 8, 2007
Yesterday, I gave my chicks (apprx. 7wks old), some leftover corn on the cob, and my daughter gave her ducks some small chunks of cucumbers, the chicks decided they wanted some cucs also, so to say the least they had a smorgasbord, I think they may have a compacted crop, how can i tell for sure? They are all large and kind of squishy, I read on here that you can use vegetable oil, but I can't find that thread, any help will be apprieciated thanks in advance.

Dean

The best way to tell is to wait and check the crop first thing in the morning (if they are not on a light and can eat all night) to see if it's still full (it should empty after a night of darkness). If it doesn't empty, then it's probably blocked up. I do believe the recommendation is oil and massage to break things up.

Jody

What is the best way of doing the oil/massage process? Anyone?

With all the knowledge out there noone has done this before?

Dean....while I have never done this...I hae read alot about it on here. Take a syringe.....no needle...and put some mineral oil down the throat, into the crop. MAKE SURE you go PAST the little hole in the back of the tongue, thats where they breath, and you will get it into the lungs. Just alittle in there...waite a few seconds..then lightly message the crop. This should cause the chicken to bring up the stuff in the crop. Like i said, I have never done this..just read on it.
Good luck! Let us know how they are doing!

i would give them all a teaspoon of vege oil in a syringe or on the spoon and massage it hopefully it will go down or they will regurgitate

Thank you for the replies, I am going home now, and see if they still have a full crop, hopefully all this was for nothing and they are fine. if not Ill try the vege oil.

Thanks again,
Dean

Well all the worry was for nothing, they weren't compacted after all, thank god!!!

Back
Top Bottom