compacted meat bird

Highland Hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
We have a bunch of red ranger meat chicks all are about fully feathered but still have a little ways to go. One of the hens seems to be compacted her gullet is really full more than normal. I think she needs to poop or something. She is still eating and drinking but I am afraid she will explode if I don't try to help her some how? Can I give laxitive to a chicken? Or what would work? Wife is saying coffee or prune juice, I don't know. This is our first batch of meat birds. Could it be something else? Wife said she has been like this for a few days, I just noticed this morning. The rest of the hens are doing great. They all have grit. So any advice would be great. Thank you :)

Last edited:
I suggest processing her early. You can spend a lot of time and effort trying to fix this, and you may lose her and not get to eat her, or you can process her and get a little less meat, but have a nice chicken dinner.

Yea just got home and she seems worse. May die tonight but if not I might just butcher in the morning. I just hope it is gut impact and not a sickness, I don't like eating sick animals. Have you ever had one of your meat birds do this? Thank you

Back
Top Bottom