Comparing 2 feed tags - is one worth $10 more per bag?

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
I'm curious to thoughts on comparing these 2 feeds.

One is flock raiser other is my local mill.

I see the lysine and meth are lower at local mill but also has way more calcium which I'm not sure they need at this level since we supplement with oyster shell. Fiber slightly higher at mill.

Comparing side by side what are your thoughts on ingredients and these levels?

Mill is $10 cheaper per bag, only avail in pellets.

Vitamins added to FR but I do give Poultry Drench once a week for added boost.
20230221_181116.jpg

You are comparing a higher protein "layer" formulation with an "All Flock" formulation. Two different purposes, they aren't easily compared.

If you have all adult production layers actively laying, save the money, feed the mill stuff. If you have roosters you plan on keeping, any chicks before point of lay, or a number of hens whose production is infrequent or small-medium eggs, use the all flock, supplimented by oyster shell.

Does you mill have other formulations?

I'd look around on this site for Lysine and Methionine values, and what the recommended ranges are. @U_Stormcrow has a number of posts about feed tags and feed content, with some really good discussion on what those numbers should be and why. Also, @Kiki has a spreadsheet where folks have contributed a lot of tag information, and you can see how various manufacturers have or have not changed their formulas over time.

A link to get you started.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/current-internet-theory.1561604/unread

x2 what Brooks_ said, I'd only feed the mill feed to actively laying hens.

The mill feed:
I don't like how they recommend to put the feed on the floor.
That part and the mention of adding grains to it bothers me.

If I were you I'd choose the mill feed for 10 dollars less and not think twice about doing so.

The Purina All Flock is a better feed. If you add oyster shells for added calcium you should be good to feed layers.

The Purina is better because it has corn, the other has only grain byproducts which means Wheat Middlings and DDGS as the primary ingredients. The means the feed has more fiber and less energy.

The Purina feed also has micro ingredients that help with gut health and digestion, the other one does not.

The mill feed:
I don't like how they recommend to put the feed on the floor.
That part and the mention of adding grains to it bothers me.

If I were you I'd choose the mill feed for 10 dollars less and not think twice about doing so.
I bought a local mill high protein layer feed that was formulated to be mixed with scratch grains, so I assume that's what this is supposed to be. Seems like the lysine, meth and calcium levels on that one are too low for that though.

Looks like it might say "for feeding to laying hens on floors", wonder what that is supposed to mean? weird.

How does their all-flock feed compare? That layer feed will be good, but unless you do the commercial 'all in, all out' management plan with your birds, you will at some point have some molting or taking 'time off' from laying eggs, and that's a lot of calcium for those birds.
Also, check mill dates on each bag, so you are only buying fresh.
Mary

Yeah, it’s definitely odd. That could definitely be it. Or maybe they meant like the barn floors if they’re raised on the floor or have multiple barns of birds? Who knows.
But why would someone design a feed to be eaten off the floor and how would it be any different than regular feed?
I would definitely have to call them and ask what that means, just to solve the mystery, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom