1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Comparing Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Massey, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Massey

Massey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Not sure if this is even worth putting in here as I'm not sure if these makes of incubators are available in the US but sure no harm in asking,

Hi all,

quick question for those in the know,

a Covatutto 54 automatic egg incubator for 140 euro

or

a Brinsea octagon 20 Eco incubator with auto turn cradle for 120 euro

Both are 2nd hand, and for now assuming both are in prefect working order, which seems like the better deal and has anyone any experience using either?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    We have a lot of Brinsea users on here and they swear by these incubators. Have never heard of the other one.

3. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have never seen a Covatutto, but my Octagon 20 is so simple. I'm new to incubating and needed something to keep it as easy as possible. The Brinsea absolutely does that. I have an Advance, but I would have total faith in the Eco. All I do is monitor humidity and add water every few days. I would definitely check the factory temps vs another thermometer, but once set, it's rock steady. Turn it on and walk away, especially with the auto turn. It's a smaller capacity, but the hatch rates are high, extremely low maintenance during incubation, and is a snap to clean

edit: I looked up the Covatutto. It reminds me of a Janoel that is available here in the states. It definitely has a larger capacity, but the build quality doesn't look as strong as the Brinsea. It all depends on what you want. If you need to set 54 eggs at a time, then maybe go with the Covatutto, but if 20-24 eggs is enough, then I vote Brinsea all the way. The electronics are just so precise. It's such a solid and dependable little incubator, and probably the most highly recommended here on BYC.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  5. Massey

May 1, 2014
    Thanks very much for your help, Looks like i'll go the Brinsea then,

6. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Let us know if you get it. That's a fine little incubator

7. Massey

May 1, 2014
    Hi,

Got it yesterday, going to have a little play around with it today and then hopefully set eggs in it tomorrow, just want to make sure I'm happy with the temp and humidity and i'lll give it a good clean first,

8. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Good deal. You will really enjoy that one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by