Comparing quail eggs

PortugalBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
I have quails for about a month, and they have started laying, the first egg I got was very small (SI vs Metric units bellow pictures),
69483_dsc04808.jpg
69483_dsc04809.jpg

Diameter: 23.27 mm ~= 0.92 inches and Length: 28.21 mm ~= 1.11 inches

I didn't worry because I knew the first ones are always smaller, then finally they get standard size I think:
69483_dsc04811.jpg
69483_dsc04810.jpg

Diameter: 25.49 mm ~= 1.00 inch and Length: 31.11 mm = 1.22 inches

I though my quails were standard, not jumbo, but Ithey don't stop getting bigger and I'm not so sure right now. The next picture is their current size:
69483_dsc04813.jpg
69483_dsc04812.jpg

Diameter: 26.7 mm ~= 1.05 inches and Length: 34.24 mm = 1.35 inches

I'm posting this so that if anyone can help me categorize my eggs, or even posting the standards for each category (small, (...), XL, jumbo).

Quote:
Well, I'm sorry to say, but there are no standards for quail eggs. Also, you can't really distinguish the kind (Jumbo, Standard) of the bird by egg size. I have some standard Tibetans that are ancient, old as the hills, but their eggs are HUGE, like almost half to 3/4 of a normal chicken egg.

Quote:
Well, I'm sorry to say, but there are no standards for quail eggs. Also, you can't really distinguish the kind (Jumbo, Standard) of the bird by egg size. I have some standard Tibetans that are ancient, old as the hills, but their eggs are HUGE, like almost half to 3/4 of a normal chicken egg.

WHOA! that IS HUGE!
thumbsup.gif

Trying to design a unique egg turner system in which I need to know the Ave size of jumbo eggs and their weight. I know Myshire Farms uses 1.25" for their roll out tray in their jumbo cages and few if any fail to pass through. As for your question, jumbo eggs fit into the Pheasant turning tray better that the standard tray, but egg size will vary. In time, you can "create" jumbo from std by selectively breeding your bigger birds and only incubating the largest eggs. Like raising NFL lineman on a farm in Alabama :)

Back
Top Bottom