Comparing quail eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PortugalBreeder, Oct 17, 2010.

1. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I have quails for about a month, and they have started laying, the first egg I got was very small (SI vs Metric units bellow pictures),
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Diameter: 23.27 mm ~= 0.92 inches and Length: 28.21 mm ~= 1.11 inches

I didn't worry because I knew the first ones are always smaller, then finally they get standard size I think:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Diameter: 25.49 mm ~= 1.00 inch and Length: 31.11 mm = 1.22 inches

I though my quails were standard, not jumbo, but Ithey don't stop getting bigger and I'm not so sure right now. The next picture is their current size:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Diameter: 26.7 mm ~= 1.05 inches and Length: 34.24 mm = 1.35 inches

I'm posting this so that if anyone can help me categorize my eggs, or even posting the standards for each category (small, (...), XL, jumbo).

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Well, I'm sorry to say, but there are no standards for quail eggs. Also, you can't really distinguish the kind (Jumbo, Standard) of the bird by egg size. I have some standard Tibetans that are ancient, old as the hills, but their eggs are HUGE, like almost half to 3/4 of a normal chicken egg.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, I'm sorry to say, but there are no standards for quail eggs. Also, you can't really distinguish the kind (Jumbo, Standard) of the bird by egg size. I have some standard Tibetans that are ancient, old as the hills, but their eggs are HUGE, like almost half to 3/4 of a normal chicken egg.

WHOA! that IS HUGE![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by