Jumbo Coturnix vs. Regular Coturnix for Backyard Eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DonofPaw, May 25, 2010.

1. DonofPaw

DonofPaw Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Hello everyone I would like some opinions on what kind of coturnix quail to get. My basic goal at the moment is just eggs as I have a tiny backyard and have a neighbors home is within 25 feet and my home is 10 feet away so I do not want to cause issues with crowing. So if I am going for egg production do I want regular or do I want jumbo? I know the jumbos have bigger eggs but how big do the eggs get? Is the size increase worth the extra food costs if I am only going in for eggs at the moment? How much more do the jumbos eat than the regular?

My setup is currently 3 old rabbit cages 30 by 24 inches standard size was thinking of maybe 4 jumbos in a cage, which would probably be equal to about three chickens right? Any advice or feedback would be great.

I have a craigslist source for 14-16 oz jumbo 4.00
    Weight not listed jumbo for 2.00
    Reg. Coturnix for 1.00

2. DonofPaw

DonofPaw Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    4 jumbo in a cage for a total of 12 which would equal 3 chickens right?

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    your cl source number 1 is lying...... Very very very rarely do coturnix (jumbo or otherwise) reach 14 oz and almost never 16--- therefore that individual is not representing them accurately and should be suspect as having less than scrupulous morals----- thats polite for saying be careful they're likely full of it [​IMG]

Anyone that tells you they have all 14-16 oz coturnix or any color or strain--- I WANNA SEE IT! By this I mean I want to see the actual bird on a scale with proof of life as these are a rare acheivement in life and for more than 1 or 2 to make it? Not likely. Dont just take my word for this... do a search here, the elusive 1 pound quail has been beat to death in multiple strings on here for a very long time.

BUYER BEWARE.

As far as jumbo vs regular the difference is negligable other than bigger birds and larger eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by