completely confused about ventilation

Yep, you got me.
We could debate whether Cornish X's are chickens at all but instead I'll go for it's the exception that proves the rule.
*Most* posters would agree that franken chickens are about as far from the "norm" as can be quickly obtained without gene splicing in terms of rate of early growth - at the expense of hardiness, intelligence, and situational awareness. Of course, there are also the Bantie frizzles with the excessive decorative feathering who, like Cousin It, can't see a damned thing, and aren't suited to free ranging either. and similar, "vanity flock" birds. Attractive, but impractical beasts sometimes (seemingly) bred specifically to display one's wealth. "See what I can afford to feed for no reason other than to show off, while you are forced to eat your beasts?"

1638728462749.png

1638728647970.png

etc. We humans have done some strange things.

Indeed. I found many times this past year that having over-sized facilities made potential problems fade away and allowed me to take advantage of unexpected opportunities.

While height is irrelevant to the number of chickens that can be kept in a coop -- because chickens don't stack for storage -- that 7-foot height is so very much BETTER than a short coop because it gives you the ability to put in that great ventilation up high where it belongs. :)
Indeed. I found many times this past year that having over-sized facilities made potential problems fade away and allowed me to take advantage of unexpected opportunities.

While height is irrelevant to the number of chickens that can be kept in a coop -- because chickens don't stack for storage -- that 7-foot height is so very much BETTER than a short coop because it gives you the ability to put in that great ventilation up high where it belongs. :)
I agree that height does not increase the number of chickens that a coop can hold. For myself the height of my coops is twofold. I believe it gives me more options for better ventilation. Also being in my fifties and on the taller side. I like being able to stand up in my coops. Which makes taking care of my chickens and doing maintenance more enjoyable.

here’s what i did for ventilation. i’m sure you can do something similar.

9EB68385-BE13-48FF-988E-DC97B441A383.jpeg
2F8BB498-4A9A-4A6F-8FAE-9321D2DBBE43.jpeg

on the front of my coop i was able to open up four 24” x 15” openings that i covered with hardware cloth. then i placed a fascia board in front of them, fastened to the ends of my roof rafters. this way i’ve got 10sqft of ventilation that’s always open, and i have protection from wind-blown rain and snow.

in the bottom picture. you can see 1 of the 3 24” x 6” openings i was able to make for an additional 3sqft of ventilation. i chose not to open the last section at the back of the coop because the vent would’ve been directly in line with my birds roosting on the top bar.

in total i have 18sqft of ventilation for 12
birds. i can close their top-hinged window in really bad weather and still have 14sqft.

I agree that height does not increase the number of chickens that a coop can hold. For myself the height of my coops is twofold. I believe it gives me more options for better ventilation. Also being in my fifties and on the taller side. I like being able to stand up in my coops. Which makes taking care of my chickens and doing maintenance more enjoyable.

100%

Additionally, I had an incident that proves the value of extra height this summer.

Details are not for the squeamish: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-reason-to-build-a-full-height-coop-run.1484191/

I have a similar Amish type coop & here's what I've done for ventilation (which is what most have suggested for you anyway):

I leave the windows open & during the winter, stuff them with HVAC filter.
IMG_20211102_132406201.jpg

I opened up the eaves with a sawzall & put HC over them.
IMG_20211102_132411259.jpg

My coop also has a ridge vent, I clear the snow off it or it's useless. It also has a metal roof & I've never had a condensation issue so I know the ventilation is doing its job well.

You should be able to get some good ventilation in there relatively easily.

If you put vents up high just under the roof, 6” high and 5’ long you’ll have ten square feet of ventilation. Easy.
I'm confused. To get 10 sq. ft. from an opening 5 ft. long, wouldn't it require the opening be 2 ft. high (not 6 inches)?

A=lw
A=5'x2'
A=10 sq. ft.

Oh, wait a minute . . . You must have meant above four walls which would give 10 sq. ft. Sorry! I was being too literal!!

Back
Top Bottom