Completely lost on what to feed my chickens

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
A while back i had people consistently telling me that i fed my chickens totally wrong by giving them this (i think henhouse reserve) layer feed, that looked like scratch (But isn’t called scratch) saying it would kill my chickens if i gave to much, so i gave more layer feed pellets.

Now i keep hearing that you need to stop using these layer feed pellets (Layena maybe?) because its going to make them stop laying.

Im completely lost here. Its obviously just me and something im not understanding, can someone explain this to me?

I recently made my own mix of layer pellets, black sunflower seeds, scratch (😱) split peas and a few supplements like cinnamon and turmeric. Our hodgepodge flock loves it and we also grow some fresh feeds like marigolds, zinnias, comphre and sage. I tend to ignore the ones that have such dramatic reactions like that while outsourcing their wisdom to a single source that all others must bow down to. Lol

While I'm waiting for you to respond ... if your feed looks like loose grain or scratch, your birds will pick out what they like best and leave the rest. So they won't be getting a complete, nutritionally balanced diet. That's why most of the experienced chicken keepers here recommend feeding a pelletized or crumble type feed. The chickens then get a balanced diet. But you also have to provide ground granite grit in a separate dish or feeder in order for them to digest it properly. If some of your birds are laying, they also need another sepate dish of oyster shell in order to form good egg shells; this provides the calcium they need.

If ALL your birds are laying, you can feed a layer feed like Layena with no worries. But if you have males, or young or old hens who are not laying, or birds that are molting, you should feed an all-flock formula that does not contain added calcium. There is some evidence that the added calcium in a layer feed is hard on the kidneys of non-laying birds.

I hope this helps!

While I'm waiting for you to respond ... if your feed looks like loose grain or scratch, your birds will pick out what they like best and leave the rest. So they won't be getting a complete, nutritionally balanced diet. That's why most of the experienced chicken keepers here recommend feeding a pelletized or crumble type feed. The chickens then get a balanced diet. But you also have to provide ground granite grit in a separate dish or feeder in order for them to digest it properly. If some of your birds are laying, they also need another sepate dish of oyster shell in order to form good egg shells; this provides the calcium they need.

If ALL your birds are laying, you can feed a layer feed like Layena with no worries. But if you have males, or young or old hens who are not laying, or birds that are molting, you should feed an all-flock formula that does not contain added calcium. There is some evidence that the added calcium in a layer feed is hard on the kidneys of non-laying birds.

I hope this helps!
Yes it definitely does! Thank you.
One of my under a year chickens is a rooster, what should i do for calcium then? Just give it as a option 24/7 but give calcium free feed right?

Can i use dirt? It mind sound silly, im just asking because i have seen them eat it a lot and id rather use plentiful dirt then buy grit, but i will if i need to buy it.

One of my under a year chickens is a rooster, what should i do for calcium then? Just give it as a option 24/7 but give calcium free feed right?
I don't have males but oyster shell on the side 24/7 should provide the calcium needed. I've also started mixing in crushed eggshell as some birds prefer that over oyster.
Can i use dirt? It mind sound silly, im just asking because i have seen them eat it a lot and id rather use plentiful dirt then buy grit, but i will if i need to buy it.
Dirt is not grit. If you have very hard stones (i.e. granite) in the dirt then that can be used. You're looking for stones around the layer size range.
grit2.png

Yes it definitely does! Thank you.

Sorry, I fell asleep! Thanks to @rosemarythyme for picking up the slack! Chickens have no teeth, so they need grit, little stones that go in their gizzards, strong muscles in their digestive systems that grind up their food. If there is fine gravel where you live they may be picking up what they need from the ground, but IMO it's better to be sure by providing it. It's not expensive and a bag wil last a really long time. Keep in mind that grit and oyster shell (OS) are two different things and they need both. OS is also not expensive and a bag will last a long time. It may even seem like they are not eating it, but they do.

Back
Top Bottom