Completely new to Ducks - help!

I usually only hear my Runners if the others have moved away and she can't see them. But I do have a Runner drake who they adore. Even if you do decide on a drake all you need to do to keep from having ducklings is take up eggs daily. And mine are 3 yrs old and have never acted like they want to brood. They are way to busy. lol

I usually only hear my Runners if the others have moved away and she can't see them. But I do have a Runner drake who they adore. Even if you do decide on a drake all you need to do to keep from having ducklings is take up eggs daily. And mine are 3 yrs old and have never acted like they want to brood. They are way to busy. lol
So runners are quieter ducks you think? I know each individual is different though.

I think I am leaning towards runners. I have a few questions about them if those experienced with them would like to help me out...

1. Are they winter hardy? Living in Canada, our winters tend to be a little harsh.

2. How are they with children? I plan on getting ducklings so they can interact with my kids and we can bond with them from a young age.

3. How many years do they lay for?

4. Can they lay during winter or do they take a break?

5. Are they good free range ducks? Again, they would be sheltered at night and when we aren’t home. But I work from home so the majority of the time I’m here. I’d like to be able to let them out in the morning, let them forage all day and then bring them in at night. Do people do that?

6. Lastly, I’ve been reading about feeding ducks and I’m so confused haha. Ducklings I hear can eat non medicated chicken starter with brewers yeast? But how much feed to yeast do I feed? And are ducklings free fed? Like just keep refilling their dish once it empties or do they get portioned sizes at different times of the day?
When can they be moved to adult food? And then for adult food, what do you feed? I’ve also heard to feed oatmeal with the adult food?
If there is a thread dedicated to this topic, please link it as I know it’s a lot.

Sooooo many questions, if anyone could help me out that would be amazing!

They will need shelter from weather mine automatically go in their coop when it’s very cold or snowy. Being they are upright and slim they have a little more trouble with temps. But they have also taught my Muscovy’s that going inside on those really cold windy days helps. Mine free range on half acre fenced. As with all poultry always a risk of predators on land or from the sky no way I could let mine totally free range on our 10 acres they have to be fenced. As for feed start them off on a All flock feed one that comes to mind is Purina Flock Raiser it has right amount of niacin for water fowl and you can feed it all their lives then just offer oyster shell on the side once they start laying. Have Nutritional yeast or Liquid b complex also just in case one gets shaky or weak legs. Compared to my Buffs my Runners are quiet lol

If you get them as ducklings they will be kid friendly but remember these are busy birds and not too many ducks of any breed want to be held they aren’t like a puppy. But they are such funny creatures I say they are the clowns of the barn yard.

If you get them as ducklings they will be kid friendly but remember these are busy birds and not too many ducks of any breed want to be held they aren’t like a puppy. But they are such funny creatures I say they are the clowns of the barn yard.
Haha yes I should have mentioned no one will be toting them around like puppies. We teach our children to treat animals with respect and know their personal space. I more meant they aren’t going to chase my kids around and will enjoy our company.

No they will not chase your children around. Mine will gather around me and beg for mealworms so as usual with any of us treats are the way to make friends. I commend you on teaching your children to respect animals. It’s a wonderful way to teach them to enjoy and love them.

No they will not chase your children around. Mine will gather around me and beg for mealworms so as usual with any of us treats are the way to make friends. I commend you on teaching your children to respect animals. It’s a wonderful way to teach them to enjoy and love them.
Thank you :) we are very big animal lovers and have two dogs, fish, and a horse currently. We also had an old cat in the past from my childhood plus we fostered and raised newborn kittens many times for a local rescue. My kids have and will learn a lot from animals.

Back
Top Bottom