Completely new to Ducks - help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AAcres, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    A runner drake as the flock leader is not a bad idea. Today we were moving the coop and temp fence and letting the ducks free range. The neighbors grandson came over and Bandit herded the ducks back inside because of the “danger”. He is always working security.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Snoop takes his position very seriously too . Now Opie My Muscovy drake is total opposite Snoop can run down one of Opies girls right in front of him and he just stands there. :rolleyes:

DuckyDonna likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Bandit is an awesome dude!

DuckyDonna and Texag87 like this.
  4. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    Thank you.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    If you only want eggs ... get females, called "ducks" ... (males are called drakes)

If you are not planning on breeding more babies ("ducklings") ... then only get "ducks" ...

You will get more eggs with three ducks ... compared to two ducks and a drake ... ;)

DuckyDonna likes this.
  6. Gerty0630

Gerty0630 Songster

Jan 15, 2019
    SE, Michigan
    If you’re wanting the ducks for eggs you’ll need females as I’m sure you know. You do not need a male for your females to lay eggs. If you’re just getting 3, then definitely go all female, or at most- 1 male with 2 females. I started with Pekins who have been an abosolute hoot. The females are louder than the males but not really a concern unless your neighbors are ultra close. My female pekin has laid through the winter and so far, she lays an egg a day, every day!

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: