Completely shelless egg

BrownEggFan

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Central PA
I was watering my birds this morning and thought I'd check the nesting box. Well, I opened the lid and there was a completely shelless egg!! These hens are all seasoned layers and I feed 21% layer mash with calcium AND free choice oyster shell. The six hens and my roo get about a cup to a cup and a half of grain a day (wheat, corn or buckwheat). I noticed a wet spot about 5" in diameter on the floor of the coop the other day, but didn't think much about it until this. There was no membrane at all...it looked like someone picked up the egg and cracked it open then poured the yolk and white right into the straw in the nesting box. I picked it up and threw it out so they wouldn't eat it. Any idea why this may have happened and what should I do if it continues?

There are a couple of reasons it could happen:
1) not enough calcium in diet - use oyster shell or other supplement
2) new layer just doesn't have the egg works working yet
3) older layer just getting a little worn out
4) some folks say that a hen who has been frightened at night will lay the egg prematurely without the shell

I have oyster shell available free choice as I noted in my original post and I also have the feed available 24 / 7. These hens are all about 1 to 1 1/2 years old, so I don't think they are getting worn out yet. I just got home from a Memorial Day picnic and I had one more egg in the nesting boxes...it has a cracked shell.
barnie.gif
What could be causing this??? They should be getting plenty of calcium and protein. Would some Vitamin D supplement help to absorb the calcium?

Sometimes they just get a glitch in the system for reasons we can't fathom. Could be stress related...
hu.gif
I certainly wouldn't worry about it unless it begins happening on a regular basis, because it sounds like you're doing everything "right."

Has anything about their diet changed recently? New brand of feed? If not, it could be a bad batch of feed, meaning it doesn't have the protein and calcium it says it does. Also, I don't know where you are, but if it is getting hotter there like it is in Florida, they tend to eat less quantity, so your scratch may be interfering with the amount of feed they are eating, since they usually prefer the scratch. Although it doesn't sound like a lot, a cup or so of scratch among six layers could be enough to put a dent in the nutrition, especially when they eat less in hot weather.

I would suggest the getting another bag of feed (check the date) and stop giving them grains for a few weeks. Instead, give them black oil sunflower seeds as a treat, but even then, don't go too heavy and only throw it in the run later in the day so they have time to consume a good amount of feed.

Let us know how it goes.

UGCM

Chickenman, thanks for the input. I haven't changed the feed, in fact, I just finished the first bag I purchased. I'll stop giving them the scratch for a while and see if that helps. I'm located in Pennsylvania and we have had above average temps and little rainfall lately. I'll keep you posted.

UGCM,

I followed your advice and backed off the scratch for a while. Now I only give a small amount in the evenings when I get home from work. I haven't had another shelless egg since. Now if I could just get rid of the skunk that was in the nesting box eating the eggs Saturday night!!

Hmmm, maybe there's something to the old wives tale about the hens being frightened at night after all...or could have been the diet. Interesting, thanks for the follow up.

Back
Top Bottom