1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Compost bin access

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Schroeder, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Any reason to keep chickens away from the compost bins?

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Just keep it where they can't kick everything out! I forgot to put the wall back up on mine and they had everything scratched out in less than 2 days.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you put shavings and there is feed that they've dumped on the coop floor, they shouldn't be in there. The feed will mold in the weather and they can get sour crop from eating that. One of my hens died because of this (the pile was fenced but had gotten so big, they could reach through the fence and eat)

4. mizauntcathy'shenhouse

mizauntcathy'shenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    My birds free range and one of the areas they like to check out every now and then is the compost pile. I don't think there is a problem with it... they actually turn the soil and haven't messed the pile up. If they were eating all the worms, then that would be a different story, but the worms are usually at the very bottom where it is damper. [​IMG]

5. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    My chickens love to scratch out the stuff from the bottom of the compost - and I thought that finding and eating worms or other compost bugs was a good thing. In a recent Backyard Poultry magazine there was an article about a compost place that was tended to by flocks of chickens who got all their nutrition from the bugs and other stuff from the compost piles.

6. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    I compost in a pile, not a bin at all. Chickens love to scratch through there, especially after I go out with the "magic bucket" full of kitchen scraps. After doing some reading, I started a "worm bin" for scraps that chickens shouldn't have like potato peels and anything really spoiled. I'll add to that their old wet spilled food after reading specked hen's post..thanks for that warning.

7. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    We have a large greenhouse approx 25 x 48 '. The chicken run is right next to the greenhouse. I made a small tunnel that goes in the greenhouse. We bring all our horse manure in during the winter and dump it in piles. They love it, They spread it through the whole greenhouse. They spend the whole day in there digging it up. Roto tilling should be easy this spring.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Yeah... because the girls do all the work! I can't believe how much dirt they can move in a single day.

9. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    THe other day I caught them taking a keen interest in the eggshells that I threw in there. That reminded me that there was real no benefit to them having access to it.

Wayne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by