1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

compost grub worms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by austindon, Sep 21, 2013.

1. austindon

austindon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2013
    I have large grub worms from my compost pile, as in mega large big boys. Will our ladies eat them? Do they like them like they like worms?

2. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Hello! [​IMG] Welcome to BYC. I think the chickens would love them. From what I have read, grubs are high in protein. There is a lot of information about raising and feeding Black Shoulder Fly grubs to supplement their feed.

3. austindon

austindon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2013
    They loved the grub worms.

4. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes, chickens love them-- MY problem is that I can't stand to pick them up, nasty things! Then there's my 4-year-old, who thinks the grubs are "so sweet and so cute!" and has no problem picking them up, but refuses to feed them to the chickens. [​IMG]

5. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Very [​IMG] Weasleymum! Our 4 year old Grandsons dog loves to dig them up and eat them. It really grosses him out! Of course we think it is hilarious when he runs screaming like a girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by