Compost troubleshooting

I could easily see harvesting what is available as it becomes available. How do you go about sifting your compost for useable stuff?

For years I just used a 2X4 frame with wire mesh, and manually sifted my compost for the garden and pots. That works great for small jobs and it does not cost very much. When I got my chickens and turned my chicken run into a composting system, I stepped up my processing and built a cement mixer compost sifter. Here is one on YouTube similar to the one I built.

I took the basic design idea from that video, but made some changes which I think improved the concept. I posted a bunch of pictures in the thread How to determine quality of different types of compost? which you see on page 3 of that thread.

Here is one picture of my setup, but other pics are available on that thread.

1634419779044.png

You can see how the screened, finished compost drops down into the wagon under the wire mesh. The larger, unfinished material gets worked out the end of the barrel and into the other wagon. That unfinished compost gets thrown back into my chicken run.

Anyway, the cement mixer compost sifter cost me an initial investment of just over $200, but in my case it paid for itself within a few days. But I am making lots of chicken run compost and there was too much sifting for me to do it manually on the old 2X4 wire mesh frame. Most of my expense was in buying a new cement mixer for the project. If you can find an old, used cement mixer for cheap, that is what I would have done. At any rate, I used to buy bags of compost at the big box store for $5 per bag, so it only took a few hours sifting with this cement mixer compost sifter for it to pay for itself.

I built a frame out of 2x4s and attached 1/2" hardware cloth to the back. The frame fits over my wheelbarrow so the finished compost falls into it. However, it is a lot of work, so I think I will try building a tumbling sifter similar to this one that I found on Pinterest. Unfortunately, no instructions, just a photo

There are YouTube videos on how to make one of those PVC tumbling sifter. Here is one link...

After starting a small compost pile, I ran into the direct method of composting. I like this idea because I need to bury my kitchen waste to discourage scavenging (bears, coyotes, neighborhood dogs).

I have used trench composting in the past. You just dig a shallow trench, put some food scraps in it, and cover it up with dirt. Works great in the garden. But after I got my chickens, I now feed the kitchen scraps directly to the chickens every day, and they eat everything within about half an hour, leaving nothing behind to attract scavengers.

My neighbors do this form in buried buckets, which they call worm hotels, with great results.

I did basically the same thing only using two buried garbage cans with lids to keep out vermin. I would fill the first can up to the top and let it sit and compost as I started adding to the second can. When the second can was filled, I would harvest the material from the first can. The only work I had to do was to water the compost in the garbage can every once in a while as no rain water can get into the top of the garbage can with the lid on. Anyway, made excellent compost in about one year. The idea is that worms will enter the buried cans from all the holes you put in it and then turn the compost material so you don't have to.

That buried garbage can system worked great for me, but when I got chickens and made the chicken run into a composting system, I pulled out those garbage cans and used that space to grow vegetables.

If I lived in an area with invasive fish species, I’d be dusting off my fishing pole to go do my part keeping population in check.

I throw all our fish remains after cleaning into to the chicken run compost. The chickens will eat some of the fish offal but usually not everything in one day. I don't like leaving fish remains overnight in the chicken run to attract vermin, so I will either take out whatever is left over at the end of the day, or, more recently, I just cover those remains with litter in the chicken run. The advantage to leaving it buried in the chicken run litter is that worms will find their way to the fish remains, eat the offal, and then the chickens will dig down to eat the worms. My chicken run litter is about 12 inches deep, so I just pile up a bunch of litter on the leftover fish remains and it buries the smell, so as not to attract vermin. So far, that has worked for me.

@gtaus - if you ever want to build another of those compost sifters, I’ll drive out there, buy it off you, and buy you lunch and let you talk compost as long as you like! :cool: 🍻

To be sure, investing $200 into that cement mixer compost sifter project was an investment for me. But, in my case, it was well worth it. With all the food scraps you get, and your expanding compost system, I don't know how you manage it without mechanical help. I know at my age I can't/won't sift all my compost manually anymore. But I managed for years manually sifting small amounts of compost for the garden. When I got my chickens and turned the chicken run into a composting system, I knew I had to find other ways to manage all the compost I was making. I just make way too much compost for me to handle with manual sifting.

Yeah, I'd really like to see your setup as I can only imagine how nice it must be to get all those food scraps.

To be sure, investing $200 into that cement mixer compost sifter project was an investment for me. But, in my case, it was well worth it. With all the food scraps you get, and your expanding compost system, I don't know how you manage it without mechanical help. I know at my age I can't/won't sift all my compost manually anymore. But I managed for years manually sifting small amounts of compost for the garden. When I got my chickens and turned the chicken run into a composting system, I knew I had to find other ways to manage all the compost I was making. I just make way too much compost for me to handle with manual sifting.

Yeah, I'd really like to see your setup as I can only imagine how nice it must be to get all those food scraps.
For me, it’s less the $200 investment and more a lack of mechanical know how…I can sling compost, and build a rough composter, but my “maker” skills end there.

How I’m managing is a mix of not sifting compost before using it, and because I’m in no rush, letting compost stockpile in the run. By next summer, I may be tight for space and need to get more compost used!

Back
Top Bottom