Composting bedding with Stall Dry

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pricem11, Apr 4, 2008.

1. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I have a question about composting manure and bedding. I have a smallish coop, so I use a fair amount of Stall Dry. Does anyone know whether this product contains chemicals that would survive composting and be harmful to plants in the garden? Thanks for any reply.

Mark

2. ChickMomma

ChickMomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2007
    Mark,
    I have been using stall dry in my coop as well this winter. The bag states that it is made from all natural ingredients. I am planning on putting it in my compost pile and letting it compost for a season before I use it. I also add grass clippings and leaves so by the time I put it in my garden the ratio of stall dry to other materials should be relatively low. If you still have the bag it came in there should be a customer service # on it or a company that you can look up on the internet to call and ask!
    Susanne

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've used Stall Dry for four years and did use it for my compost pile and never had a problem with them. Go ahead and use them!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use Dry Stall with the pine shavings and always put it on our garden and till it in... no problems...

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll watch for this product-thanks; another is 'Stable Boy' which is safe for all forms of livestock and absorbs ammonia and I'm pleased with it...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by