Composting black walnut?

TerryBowleg

Chirping
Feb 23, 2023
I randomly stumbled upon an article today that says black walnut leaves, twigs, and roots should not be composted for use in vegetables gardens. Well, just so happens that the compost pile I started this past winter is directly under a black walnut tree.

Thoughts? 😆

Walnut does have something in it that stops other plants from growing.
For example, one never sees moss growing on them
I can't remember exactly what it is, and am on my phone which makes it hard to research things.

Doesn't compost well, can leach allergens into your garden and inhibits breakdown of other compost. i avoid using in compose and also constantly wear respirator when woodworking with it and its fine dust particles

Doesn't compost well, can leach allergens into your garden and inhibits breakdown of other compost. i avoid using in compose and also constantly wear respirator when woodworking with it and its fine dust particles

My compost has been under that tree for about 6 months. I’m sure some twigs and some of the soil has gotten into the compost…do you think if I move it and wait long enough to use it that it would be ok? I really don’t wanna trash my entire compost heap

I'm no expert so take what i say with a grain of salt and do what you think is best but I think it'll fine. It's really use of the shavings sanding down and planing walnut wood planks where I get concerned. I haven't thought much about directly under a walnut tree and leave degradation so I'm no expert here. Options if really concerned would be to test the soil at a local agriculature school (UC Davis for example allows soil to be tested for small fees for different toxins--lead, etc, they may have test for juglone) but for me that would be overkill. To be clear--only my opinion, not advice :)

Back
Top Bottom