Composting chicken run

I took off the shower curtain wind block I had on the west side of the run a few days ago. I didn't cut off the excess length, I just folded it out on the ground and raked a bunch of leaves over it. So the leaves came off and went into the run. They were distinguishable from the rest of the leaves in the run for a day. Now those that aren't under things are clawed down to bits.

When we move the coop and run for the summer, I hope to harvest some nice mulch. Then I'll reseed it with annual rye. Hopefully it'll grow in and give the birds some entertainment for a day or two next fall.

Yes, I agree...it’s amazing how quickly the chickens can tear up and compost leaves. I was thinking the same thing when I was working in the compost today.

I imagine if you move your run, what is left behind will be very fertile. If I had the setup for it, I’d have “garden on one side, run on the other” with a swap every year.

I was given a bag of raw fish for the compost but I'm not sure about putting it in the run....if the chickens dig into it before it composts will it make them sick?
I've heard that chickens will eat fish (and fish guts) happily, and enjoy the protein. I also know fish can spoil quickly. I think I'd put any questionable fish in my compost pile (chickens don't free range, so no access) or bury it directly in the garden.

I buried a "forgotten" piece of steak that I found in the fridge (grrrr!) in my garden. Just make sure it's buried deeply enough not to attract critters. Two feet down should be good. It will add nutrients to the soil for a long time. Someone told me that their parents buried animal carcasses in their orchard to nourish the trees.

When I buy shrimp, the place will give me 5 gallons of heads, shells and whatnot. I give the flock a pint and divide the rest into pint sized portions. I have put the whole bucket out but it stinks before it dries up. They relish the calcium and protein.

Also works with crawfish heads after a boil. Same problem with the stink, there is just too much for them to process, so divide and give them a bit at a time. They will eat the stuff in the heads before anything else. Makes the yolks deep orange and gorgeous.

I've been told that too much will make the eggs fishy tasting. That would not be good. I haven't seen this yet and don't want to.

Best of luck and I would give them the fish.

Last edited:
63 degrees here today!

Processed some food waste, turned some compost, and all the usual farm chores.

I then planted the comfrey root cutting I’d bought a while back. With a little luck they’ll grow quickly and provide lots of supplemental greens for the chickens.

I covered the area I planted (which also has a few forsythia growing in it) with a nice layer of unsifted compost from the “resting” pile. Even though it was unsifted it looked nice...not overly chunky or anything.

Two wheelbarrows full didn’t make a nick on the pile...there is a LOT of compost here.

View attachment 2587984
Hi, i am your fellow Rhode Islander and i planted Comfrey last year they grew really big and are coming back this year, the chickens loved them and now i added Rabbits so they will be getting some too, love your set up

Hi, i am your fellow Rhode Islander and i planted Comfrey last year they grew really big and are coming back this year, the chickens loved them and now i added Rabbits so they will be getting some too, love your set up

Nice...yes, it's already growing well, with one plant in particular probably 6 inches tall. Most are two inches or so, but growing fast as the weather warms.

Good call on the rabbits...we have a few and I bet they'll like some comfrey too!

On the fish guts...while they're "fresh" I'd give them whatever they can clean up in a day, maybe two...after that I agree that burying deep in the pile is probably the best approach.

If you bury deep in the pile, I bet the fish guts would be basically rotted away in a couple of weeks...so just hold off before doing any big turning if you go that route.

On the fish guts...while they're "fresh" I'd give them whatever they can clean up in a day, maybe two...after that I agree that burying deep in the pile is probably the best approach.

If you bury deep in the pile, I bet the fish guts would be basically rotted away in a couple of weeks...so just hold off before doing any big turning if you go that route.
A bit late with this, but any time you add something with a strong odor, fats and/or protein turn the pile first and add the items right into the center of the pile. The turning brings oxygen into the pile, which will be needed for bacteria to process the organic matter your adding. Another tip is to chop up the meat, fish, etc as much as possible before adding it to the pile. Fish can even be blended. This increases the surface area for bacteria. If you are adding whole carcasses, I'd say don't. Bury them in the ground instead or toss them in the fire pit.

Back
Top Bottom