Composting chicken run

Pics
Yes, am I’m understanding of the fact that it’s probably dumb luck that puts me in the latter category at the moment.
Me too.

At my physical last May, my doctor asked me several times in several ways, how I was doing mentally and emotionally with the pandemic and lockdown. About the third time I assured her that I. Am. Ok. it dawned on me that she was making sure I was, because most people weren't.

The older I get, the more grateful I am for what I have.

At my physical last May, my doctor asked me several times in several ways, how I was doing mentally and emotionally with the pandemic and lockdown. About the third time I assured her that I. Am. Ok. it dawned on me that she was making sure I was, because most people weren't.
I had a physical today and my doctor asked similar questions. I said “I’m able to work from home. My kids are still in person for school. We’re all healthy. Literally EVERYONE has more to complain about than I do”. :D

I gained a few pounds since last July’s appointment. Most blame the pandemic but I said “I broke my arm, which laid me up for 8 weeks, then it got cold out. When the compost pile thaws out, I’ll drop the weight.”

You can also use it [front scoop attachment for the mower] to collect eggs. :lau
Yep. But I only get 2 to 3 eggs per day now, so that might be a hard sell.

FYI, I built my chicken coop on an old boat trailer frame in front of my garage. When I was all done building it, I told Dear Wife I had to buy a pickup so I could move the coop. That is how I got my new-to-me (used) pickup.

We drove an hour to find the chicken swap....the only kind of chickens I didn't want were red stars and that is what they had the most of. So I got one red star and one Ameraucana. I know people like the red stars cause they are good layers and I do like that but I really want one that will go broody. So with the Polish pair and the 2 today I went from two to six composters in three days.. And they are out there turning compost as I type. I may get one or two more and then mostly concentrate on composting. My granddaughter was really excited when I told her that I could add paper to the compost...she is twelve.

Last edited:
Has anyone put bark in their run to good effect? Not shredded, just pieces of bark off logs. When my husband splits wood, often the back falls off. I have a pile of bark and was thinking it would make good pathway mulch in the garden, but maybe the chickens might like to play with it.

Any thoughts? It's predominantly oak. Some maple, might be some walnut.

We drove an hour to find the chicken swap....the only kind of chickens I didn't want were red stars and that is what they had the most of. So I got one red star and one Ameraucana.
I have one ISA Brown, which I think is about the same as a Red Star. She is my best egg layer. She is also the most friendly hen I have in the coop. In the morning, when I open the coop doors, she runs up to me and wants to be petted/held. The other hens just look at me and don't care much unless I have food in hand.

My Ameraucana lays nice green eggs for me. She is currently in molt so it has been about a month since I got any green eggs. But she has been a very good layer.

My granddaughter was really excited when I told her that I could add paper to the compost...she is twelve.
That's really nice. I shred my paper in my little paper shredder. The shredded paper gets thrown into the coop and mixed with everything else (wood chips, leaves). Works just fine there.

If you are dumping the shredded paper outside, just try to mix it around. Otherwise, you might end up with a big pile of paper Mache if it rains and gets wet. When you mix the shredded paper into everything else, it really composts fast.

It is great that you can share your chickens with your granddaughter. Good to hear she is excited about it.

Has anyone put bark in their run to good effect? Not shredded, just pieces of bark off logs. When my husband splits wood, often the back falls off. I have a pile of bark and was thinking it would make good pathway mulch in the garden, but maybe the chickens might like to play with it.

Any thoughts? It's predominantly oak. Some maple, might be some walnut.
There might be some tasty bugs in that bark which the chickens would love to eat.

I would certainly throw it into the chicken run to compost. But big chunks of bark might take a long time to decompose.

Seems to me that worms love to live under rotting tree trunks and such. Maybe just have a pile of bark somewhere and occasionally flip it over with your hay fork. Probably discover lots of bugs, beetles, and worms living under there.

You could also use the bark in hügelkultur beds or pots.

I will also use dry bark to help start a good fire. That might seem like a waste, but I shovel up the fire pit ashes and dump them in the compost bin. So, it's not wasted.

I will also use dry bark to help start a good fire.
Oh, I save a lot of bark for just this reason. Great kindling.

Some of this pile is probably going to go into the run, some down to the garden. The stuff in the run will go down to garden when the coop goes down there in a couple months. But I'll let the chickens break it down some first.

Back
Top Bottom