Composting chicken run

Pics
You’ve come a long way @gtaus! :D

The other part of my “chicken compost” plan has kicked into high gear the last week or so.

The 50 chicks I added in August have started laying, and the existing flock is producing more with longer days.

I made my first egg donation just under a year ago...was donating maybe 4-6 dozen per week.

I dropped off 12 dozen last week. Then 14 dozen 5 days later. Then 7 dozen more 2 days later. It’s an egg-splosion! That brings us to 78 dozen donated for 2021, and 301 dozen since late March last year.

When I started donating eggs in 2019, the food pantry ran once a month. They are now up to 3 days a week - there is SO much need right now!

:thumbsup You must be a saint. I am glad there are people like you that are able to give to those who need. Especially in these times when so many people are hurting. I have often donated money to the local food pantry, and, thankfully, Dear Wife and I have not needed to get food from them. We are doing OK in these tough times. But I do know people that could not make it through the month unless they got help from the food pantry. So I think it's a great service for the community.

:love Thank you for being part of your community food pantry and feeding people.

I have 10 hens. When I first starting getting more eggs than we could eat at home from, I gave some away to someone I won't mention. But they never seemed to appreciate it. So Dear Wife started selling the eggs to her friends for $2.00 a dozen, which is a good price for farm fresh eggs where I live, and those "customers" are always asking for more. I really don't need the money, but the extra egg money pays for the commercial chicken feed. The real issue for me is that people who are paying for our eggs are much more thankful. Go figure.

You’ve come a long way @gtaus! :D

The other part of my “chicken compost” plan has kicked into high gear the last week or so.

The 50 chicks I added in August have started laying, and the existing flock is producing more with longer days.

I made my first egg donation just under a year ago...was donating maybe 4-6 dozen per week.

I dropped off 12 dozen last week. Then 14 dozen 5 days later. Then 7 dozen more 2 days later. It’s an egg-splosion! That brings us to 78 dozen donated for 2021, and 301 dozen since late March last year.

When I started donating eggs in 2019, the food pantry ran once a month. They are now up to 3 days a week - there is SO much need right now!
Wow that is a lot of eggs and you are a really good person to donate them, i am sure they are greatly appreciated, i have donated some to a church near me in Richmond RI but nothing like you have done.

Wow that is a lot of eggs and you are a really good person to donate them, i am sure they are greatly appreciated, i have donated some to a church near me in Richmond RI but nothing like you have done.
I started off with six chickens, now have 70+ with 16 more on order.

I started donating a couple dozen eggs once a month (had probably 15 chickens at a time).

I used to have one small compost setup.

I feel that I’m learning something about myself in this thread. Clearly, I like taking good things to the extreme. :D

I started off with six chickens, now have 70+ with 16 more on order.

I started donating a couple dozen eggs once a month (had probably 15 chickens at a time).

I used to have one small compost setup.

I feel that I’m learning something about myself in this thread. Clearly, I like taking good things to the extreme. :D
That is not a bad thing. And you are sharing your excess. In my mind, you need a bigger garden. Or a friend who will trade chicken poop for fresh veggies. :D

You must be a saint. I am glad there are people like you that are able to give to those who need. Especially in these times when so many people are hurting. I have often donated money to the local food pantry, and, thankfully, Dear Wife and I have not needed to get food from them. We are doing OK in these tough times. But I do know people that could not make it through the month unless they got help from the food pantry. So I think it's a great service for the community.

:love Thank you for being part of your community food pantry and feeding people.
Thanks for the kind words! Far from a saint but lucky enough to have the resources and time to do a little something to help.

I really do enjoy being outside, turning compost, watching the flock do it’s thing...so it’s a pleasure.

That is not a bad thing. And you are sharing your excess. In my mind, you need a bigger garden. Or a friend who will trade chicken poop for fresh veggies. :D
Yes, wish I had more property - I’d growing a big garden and sharing/donating the excess.

It’d give me a way to leverage all this compost, for one thing!

I have 10 hens. When I first starting getting more eggs than we could eat at home from, I gave some away to someone I won't mention. But they never seemed to appreciate it. So Dear Wife started selling the eggs to her friends for $2.00 a dozen, which is a good price for farm fresh eggs where I live, and those "customers" are always asking for more. I really don't need the money, but the extra egg money pays for the commercial chicken feed. The real issue for me is that people who are paying for our eggs are much more thankful. Go figure

Agreed...I’ll give eggs to anyone who asks...but it’s nice if they appreciate it and recognize they aren’t getting “Walmart eggs”.

I never sell my eggs (could get $4 dozen here I expect) because once you’re a customer, you can have demands. If I give you something, all you can say is “thank you”. :D

:lau Taking things to the extreme.... Just this morning I called our local Fleet store to see if I could buy a front loader scoop for my Husqvarna riding lawn mower. I am thinking I could move a lot of compost in little time if I had a small tractor. Renting a Bobcat for the day runs about $350 here, so I'm thinking having a small scoop on my riding mower would "pay" for itself as I would be using it for many things.

:old Of course, I would be telling Dear Wife that I am buying the front scoop attachment to move snow in the winter so she can get her car out of the driveway.... I think she might buy that excuse...

:lau Taking things to the extreme.... Just this morning I called our local Fleet store to see if I could buy a front loader scoop for my Husqvarna riding lawn mower. I am thinking I could move a lot of compost in little time if I had a small tractor. Renting a Bobcat for the day runs about $350 here, so I'm thinking having a small scoop on my riding mower would "pay" for itself as I would be using it for many things.

:old Of course, I would be telling Dear Wife that I am buying the front scoop attachment to move snow in the winter so she can get her car out of the driveway.... I think she might buy that excuse...
Good luck!

You can also use it to collect eggs. :lau

Back
Top Bottom