Composting in the run

Quote: That's good info, I hadn't realised, we only left it until it had well rotted down and looked a crumbly texture, probably about only 3 months but it does get very very hot here, air temps over a 100f daily and it is tin so effectively it's like an oven

Food for thought...We don't really have a good place to store or let our compost sit (without growing a pile of weeds), so we actually spread it over one or two of our beds before we plant cover crop. By the time the cover crop has ran its course, its (the compost) is same to plant in.

I am so excited to start this (if only so I don't have to walk so far to throw stuff in the compost pile). My one question is: is the compost too hot when pulled from the bin? Would you need to move it from the run and allow it to "cool" for awhile before adding it to the beds/gardens?

I am so excited to start this (if only so I don't have to walk so far to throw stuff in the compost pile). My one question is: is the compost too hot when pulled from the bin? Would you need to move it from the run and allow it to "cool" for awhile before adding it to the beds/gardens?

As mentioned above, because there is chicken contributions (chicken poo) in the compost, you should not add it to any garden bed that contains, or will contain food within 120 days or so of the latest chicken deposit.

I don't think that the heat would cause an issue. We have added steaming piles of compost to our beds many times with no ill effect. Compost can get really warm, and stay warm because it is in a pile. As you spread it out over the garden, the surface area increases and the heat is more easily dissipated.

As mentioned above, because there is chicken contributions (chicken poo) in the compost, you should not add it to any garden bed that contains, or will contain food within 120 days or so of the latest chicken deposit.

I don't think that the heat would cause an issue. We have added steaming piles of compost to our beds many times with no ill effect. Compost can get really warm, and stay warm because it is in a pile. As you spread it out over the garden, the surface area increases and the heat is more easily dissipated. 
I must have skimmed that post. By "hot" I meant nitrogen hot, not heat, so you answered my question right off the bat. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom