Composting questions...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RookieFarmLady, Feb 19, 2016.

1. RookieFarmLady

RookieFarmLady New Egg

Feb 19, 2016
    Mississippi
    Hi all, I'm new here and new to composting. I have chickens and am trying to use the droppings and bedding for composting. Not sure if I'm on the right track or not. Need help please.

I just used chicken droppings, wood shavings for the bedding and sprayed it down with water in my a 55 gallon drum tumbler. I have added some veggie kitchen scraps, eggshells, and coffe grounds. I turn the barrel twice a week. It has now been about 4 weeks in the barrel. Is this what it is supposed to look like?? Thanks [​IMG]

2. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom

I cant tell you cause I use a free standing combost but the key is enough green material to make it cook and water. You seem to have enough poop and brown material. Keep us posted.. composting takes a long time.... eventually it will work.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  3. majortaylor

majortaylor Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    Texas
    I've always been told that egg shells should stay out of the compost mix as they take forever to break down. I inherited an old compost heap in my backyard and there are still egg shells in it from 5 years ago. Other then that, keep turning it and maybe get some worms to add to the mix to help break things down faster. I've even heard that urine helps the mixture... but not sure you want to go that far!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've always heard coffee grounds are good - don't drink coffee so have no experience with it. No meat or fat drippings - will attract rats and smell badly.

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We have several free standing compost piles in various stages of decay. I do put egg shells in them but step on them first to help them break down faster. Since chick pooh can burn plants if used too soon, I let it sit for several months (in with the rest of the stuff) before tilling it into the garden.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    You should add more browns and toss some dirt in there. I also throw in used potting soils. And when no browns available, shredded paper.

I think Poop is considered a green - high nitrogen.

Eggshells do not break down, even after a couple of years in compost they are still there - I just discard in the trash now.

Coffee grounds are also a green - but a wonderful addition . I no longer place those in compost that is chicken accessible.

Meat and fats also attract dogs, cats, fox, coyote, possum and raccoons.[​IMG]

Do be careful and not add too much water, I once soaked mine down and it brings out poop odor [​IMG] .

7. crystallove

crystallove New Egg

Sep 19, 2015
    Phoenix AZ
    I keep my compost pile in the chicken area, the girls like to sift through it, the stir it for me, and eat bugs in it. I do add my shells to it too, just dry them and crack them into small pieces. The soil under the top layer is dark and rich, never had trouble with it not breaking down.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Chicken droppings are VERY acidic and too much can make your compost too acidic for many plants too, but it's easy to neutralise it if needed, just mix some wood ashes into the pile. Works very well and very quick.

Have you got any comfrey plants? Pick a few leaves, put it in a container with water and let it sit until it's made "tea". Pour the resulting tea over your compost heap, the comfrey works as a compost activator and will speed up the break down process a bit. (Be warned though, the smell may startle you)

Your chickens, in addition to helping by supplying droppings to the pile, will also help turn the heap for you, if allowed and they're quite good at it too [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/composting-with-chickens

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by