Composting questions...

RookieFarmLady

Hatching
Feb 19, 2016
Mississippi
Hi all, I'm new here and new to composting. I have chickens and am trying to use the droppings and bedding for composting. Not sure if I'm on the right track or not. Need help please.

I just used chicken droppings, wood shavings for the bedding and sprayed it down with water in my a 55 gallon drum tumbler. I have added some veggie kitchen scraps, eggshells, and coffe grounds. I turn the barrel twice a week. It has now been about 4 weeks in the barrel. Is this what it is supposed to look like?? Thanks

Hi all, I'm new here and new to composting. I have chickens and am trying to use the droppings and bedding for composting. Not sure if I'm on the right track or not. Need help please.

I just used chicken droppings, wood shavings for the bedding and sprayed it down with water in my a 55 gallon drum tumbler. I have added some veggie kitchen scraps, eggshells, and coffe grounds. I turn the barrel twice a week. It has now been about 4 weeks in the barrel. Is this what it is supposed to look like?? Thanks
I cant tell you cause I use a free standing combost but the key is enough green material to make it cook and water. You seem to have enough poop and brown material. Keep us posted.. composting takes a long time.... eventually it will work.

Last edited:
I've always been told that egg shells should stay out of the compost mix as they take forever to break down. I inherited an old compost heap in my backyard and there are still egg shells in it from 5 years ago. Other then that, keep turning it and maybe get some worms to add to the mix to help break things down faster. I've even heard that urine helps the mixture... but not sure you want to go that far!

I've always heard coffee grounds are good - don't drink coffee so have no experience with it. No meat or fat drippings - will attract rats and smell badly.

We have several free standing compost piles in various stages of decay. I do put egg shells in them but step on them first to help them break down faster. Since chick pooh can burn plants if used too soon, I let it sit for several months (in with the rest of the stuff) before tilling it into the garden.

You should add more browns and toss some dirt in there. I also throw in used potting soils. And when no browns available, shredded paper.

I think Poop is considered a green - high nitrogen.

Eggshells do not break down, even after a couple of years in compost they are still there - I just discard in the trash now.

Coffee grounds are also a green - but a wonderful addition . I no longer place those in compost that is chicken accessible.

Meat and fats also attract dogs, cats, fox, coyote, possum and raccoons.
ep.gif

Do be careful and not add too much water, I once soaked mine down and it brings out poop odor
sickbyc.gif

I keep my compost pile in the chicken area, the girls like to sift through it, the stir it for me, and eat bugs in it. I do add my shells to it too, just dry them and crack them into small pieces. The soil under the top layer is dark and rich, never had trouble with it not breaking down.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Chicken droppings are VERY acidic and too much can make your compost too acidic for many plants too, but it's easy to neutralise it if needed, just mix some wood ashes into the pile. Works very well and very quick.

Have you got any comfrey plants? Pick a few leaves, put it in a container with water and let it sit until it's made "tea". Pour the resulting tea over your compost heap, the comfrey works as a compost activator and will speed up the break down process a bit. (Be warned though, the smell may startle you)

Your chickens, in addition to helping by supplying droppings to the pile, will also help turn the heap for you, if allowed and they're quite good at it too
wink.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/composting-with-chickens

Back
Top Bottom