Composting...

Pics
Question. How do you keep raccoons, skunks, opossums and other trash bandits out of your compost and piles?
Good question - this is another reason why I use bins, just to ensure most pests stay out. I even wrapped mine in hardware cloth just in case, but have never seen evidence of critters trying to get in.

I'm going to ask a newbie question, maybe it will also help others new to composting. Can someone please explain in SIMPLE terms, the difference between "browns" and "greens"?
I think it started as a way of sorting plant matter:

Dead, dry plant matter looks brown, and is a good source of carbon.
(Example: dead leaves)

Fresh, live, growing plant matter looks green, and is a good source of nitrogen.
(Example: fresh grass clippings.)

But then people tried to make other things fit the same pattern.
So animal manure (good source of nitrogen) got called "green" even though it really is brown in color most of the time.

...manure, whether fresh or old or liquid like manure tea, and from pretty much any ruminant. So, not dog or cat or any meat-eating animal.
If you are just considering how it rots and how it influences the rest of the pile, you can treat dog or cat waste the same as manure from any other kind of animal.

The reason people say not to use dog & cat waste in a compost pile is because they worry about diseases and parasites. So some people throw dog & cat waste in the trash, and some other people compost it in a special pile, and some advice says you can use that compost on ornamental plants but not on vegetables. I don't know if they are right to be so concerned, because I've never cared enough to research it further.

Question. How do you keep raccoons, skunks, opossums and other trash bandits out of your compost and piles? We used to throw our kitchen scraps out for the chickens, but then realized that whatever the chooks didn't eat became bait for every varmint in the area.
We have a good amount of wild cats who lurk around here too, whatever anyone wants they are welcome to it 👍 I havent seen our local armadillo in a while, we have a skunk we see/smell every few months, and a possum who eats the left over cat food almost every night... other possums and the coons usually go in the traps I set when I notice their presence then release them across the river about 5-10 miles away. Hard to resist tuna and marshmellows 😁

Question. How do you keep raccoons, skunks, opossums and other trash bandits out of your compost and piles? We used to throw our kitchen scraps out for the chickens, but then realized that whatever the chooks didn't eat became bait for every varmint in the area.
Compost bins come in handy if there's animal issues. Rats can chew through plastic though and racoons are particularly capable of opening lids. My old tumblers were made out of 55 gallon steel drums.

Now I use a 3 bin system. The bins are open and it would be very easy for an animal to get into the compost piles. The key I found with open bins is to bury anything I add. We use a pitch fork to open a hole in the middle of the pile, dump in whatever we are adding, and then close the pile up. This keeps odors down, and in turn prevents animals from being attracted. Some things, like weeds, grass clippings and any brown matter just get added on right on top though as they are not attractive to animals as food.

I'm going to ask a newbie question, maybe it will also help others new to composting. Can someone please explain in SIMPLE terms, the difference between "browns" and "greens"?

But before you do, let me explain why it's confusing to me. I always thought "greens" were PLANT matter of any kind, regardless of condition. So it could be FRESH, as in newly-mowed grass, or dry and crispy, like old crunchy leaves. IS THAT CORRECT?

Second, I thought "browns" were essentially ANIMAL matter, like manure, whether fresh or old or liquid like manure tea, and from pretty much any ruminant. So, not dog or cat or any meat-eating animal. Again, IS THIS CORRECT?

I think I'm wrong, actually. Somebody's going to talk about "carbon" and "nitrogen" and confuse me all to pieces, but I'm willing to try to learn. Just please ... Be gentle with me! 😆🤣
Your definitions are not right. "Greens" are often, but certainly not always, green in color. "Browns" are often, but certainly not always, brown in color.
You are right about "somebody's going to talk 'carbon' and 'nitrogen'." "Greens" contain nitrogen. "Browns" contain carbon. So composting is really a balance of those to key elements, nitrogen and carbon. The reason for this is the bacteria we rely on in composting feeds on nitrogen. Carbon is the building block of the compost. Carbon rich matter does not break down as fast, so it provides structure to the pile. If you just put nitrogen rich matter into a pile you would end up with something similar to a pile of sewage slime - not something you really want to mess with.
Now let's talk about what is "green" (rich in nitrogen) and what is "brown" (rich in carbon". Some common "greens" include manure, urine, and most fruit and vegetable scraps. Some common "browns" include wood (sticks and wood chips), straw, dry leaves (although fresh leaves are mostly "green"), aged/dried grass clippings (when it's more like straw or hay).

Generalizing it all:
"Greens" are: food, green plants, manure and urine
"Browns" are: woody things, paper and brown plant matter

Of course there's more to consider yet still in composting: ph (alkaline or acidic), phosphorous, potassium, calcium, moisture and more I'm sure. That said, start with the basic above and build a pile or fill a bin. The rest will come as you continue to learn. :)

Last edited:
I know woodchucks get into my compost. I can't really keep them out.

My usual method for keeping the critter traffic down is to cover the stuff they'd like (kitchen scraps) with a bucketful of chicken poop. Right now stuff is frozen solid, so I can't turn it. I just try to keep the scraps covered.

@BReeder!, excellent definition of greens and browns!

For those who are up north in the cold regions, don’t forget that while your piles microbial activity may have ground to a halt for now, the freeze/thaw cycle is actually helping to break down materials in your pile.

Freeze/thaw breaks down cell walls in materials…when things warm up come spring the pile will be supercharged.

Last edited:
For those who are up north in the cold regions, don’t forget that while your piles microbial activity may have ground to a halt for now, the freeze/thaw cycle is actually helping to break down materials in your pile.

Freeze/thaw breaks down cell walls in materials…when things warm up come spring the pile will be supercharged.
Very true! Also, to my folks northerners, remember to keep adding "brown" matter to the pile with your "green" kitchen scraps and poultry manure so you don't end up with a stinky, slimy mess when it thaws.

I make a pile of straw, wood shavings (coop clean out), and leaves in the Fall. That's where I as my kitchen scraps and poultry manure all Winter. This prevents the ugly mess in the Spring. I just turn the pile when it thaws and then it heats up and is compost by Summer with a free more turnings.

Your definitions are not right. "Greens" are often, but certainly not always, green in color. "Browns" are often, but certainly not always, brown in color.
You are right about "somebody's going to talk 'carbon' and 'nitrogen'." "Greens" contain nitrogen. "Browns" contain carbon. So composting is really a balance of those to key elements, nitrogen and carbon. The reason for this is the bacteria we rely on in composting feeds on nitrogen. Carbon is the building block of the compost. Carbon rich matter does not break down as fast, so it provides structure to the pile. If you just put nitrogen rich matter into a pile you would end up with something similar to a pile of sewage slime - not something you really want to mess with.
Now let's talk about what is "green" (rich in nitrogen) and what is "brown" (rich in carbon". Some common "greens" include manure, urine, and most fruit and vegetable scraps. Some common "browns" include wood (sticks and wood chips), straw, dry leaves (although fresh leaves are mostly "green"), aged/dried grass clippings (when it's more like straw or hay).

Generalizing it all:
"Greens" are: food, green plants, manure and urine
"Browns" are: woody things, paper and brown plant matter

Of course there's more to consider yet still in composting: ph (alkaline or acidic), phosphorous, potassium, calcium, moisture and more I'm sure. That said, start with the basic above and build a pile or fill a bin. The rest will come as you continue to learn. :)
Thanks. That's a lot to process, but it helps!

Back
Top Bottom